Water Leaking to downstairs ceiling

Old 06-07-17, 05:48 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Leaking to downstairs ceiling

I do not have pictures at the moment but we have a very small leak above the shower into the living room downstairs. Have had the home warranty come out and cut a hole in the ceiling and there was no noticeable leak from the pipe or drain.

They advised it could be some cracked grout outside the shower next to the door. Rarely does much water get on this cracked grout but recently I noticed cracked caulking at the base of the shower floor right where the leak is occurring. Could this be an issue causing a leak?

Old 06-07-17, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There should be a 'pan' under the tile that would prevent water from going thru cracked grout. Did the cut out show wet or water stained subfloor or joists?

Old 06-07-17, 06:10 AM
G
Yes, when I went in the hole there was some moisture. The grout is outside the shower but inside its fiberglass for a flooring. There is also cracking caulk against the floor and wall of the shower which lines up with where the water is leaking. I didn't know if I recaulked this would it prevent water from leaking out

Old 06-07-17, 06:33 AM
G
When the home warranty plumbers came out they found no leak when the water was running, so maybe this was the grout. I just did not think much water was leaving the shower

Old 06-07-17, 08:44 AM
It sounds like water is leaking through the caulk on the outside. Even a small crack can let water in and the water can do significant damage over time.

I would clean out all the old caulk and apply new kitchen & bath (mold resistant) caulk.
Before caulking I would put a fan on the area for days. The wood might be wetter than it appears.

Old 06-07-17, 08:59 AM
G
Thank you for the reply. Would you open the whole back in the ceiling downstairs and dry it? I had recently patched it. I do not mind to open it back up and trying to patch again.

Old 06-07-17, 07:07 PM
Just to confirm, yes I would open the ceiling and put fans on it.
If you find any dry rot it should be cut out and possibly treated with a fungicide like Jasco or other brand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: