Tub drain hole melted

Old 06-22-17, 01:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub drain hole melted

Previous owner of my house did something weird with my bathroom tub. The hole looks like melted probably because of some kind fluid... I dont know. Looks ugly. Is there anything i can do with it? I dont want to replace this plastic tub.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-17, 01:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
A pic or two would be helpful .... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-22-17, 01:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
You could start by telling us what your tub is made of... fiberglass, cast iron, steel?

Old 06-22-17, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
He said plastic...I imagine it's acrylic? Though I guess FG is very similar looking and sounding from the outside.

Old 06-22-17, 06:34 PM
T
www.*******/idDo3Q Yes white plastic or acrylic.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-22-17 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Corrected link to pic
Old 06-22-17, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's just the flange for the drain and is rusted and corroded. It can be removed and replaced. Though it might be a bit of work to get out. I don't see any crosspiece to grab on to and it's likely corroded all the way into the threads as well. Maybe someone who does plumbing will have a trick to use.

Old 06-23-17, 04:32 AM
T
I will try to pry and pull it out. I hope it is not glued to tub or... Should i try to turn it counterclockwise if it is threaded...

Old 06-23-17, 04:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
I think it's got a plastic nut on the bottom - but I'm not a plumber, they should be along later.

Old 06-23-17, 05:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Here is a basic diagram of how it is assembled.

You can try to rotate the flange by tapping with glancing taps with a flat tip screwdriver. I'd probably just try a Dremel tool inside the drain to cut it loose then replace the whole drain assembly.

Old 06-23-17, 06:14 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Do not try and pry on it!
There's two different ways these are install, one like Ray posted screws into a drain shoe, the other is held in place with a nut installed from below the tub.
Is there an access panel behind the wall where the plumbing comes in?
Or is there access from below so you can see if there's a nut holding it in place?
I use a tool like this to unscrew them without damage to the tub.
https://www.grainger.com/product/45W...170623131229:s
Not going to work if there's a nut holding it in place.

Old 06-23-17, 06:16 AM
You can try to turn it CCW, but it's easier to cut it out.
Use a hand held hacksaw blade and you can cut out the flange rather easily, it's thin brass.
Cut the flange in two places and pry it out sideways with a screwdriver. Don't try to pry it up.

Old 06-25-17, 08:40 AM
T
First I tried taping with flat scre screwdriver. This flang became like sand. So i went to Home Depot and bought this extractor fitting tool. I removed flange easily with a ratchet, cleaned area, flushed with water and then installed new drain flange with clickable stopper. I run some water about 1inch high in tub. Water leaked down. So I removed it one more time and installed it tighter. I run 1inch of water again. It was ok. I didnt put any putty. I dont know what is it. Im guessing some paste to prevent leaks. If it is needed then i will buy it next weekend and put it under flange. Then ai went downstairs to kitchen. Our tub is on top floor above kitchen and laundry are. I was shocked. All is under water. All under tub. I guess water run down through a hole in celling for bulbs(globe). I touched ceilling when i was wiping it dry and some areas are ...moist and ...i was easily able to push on celling and made small dots... Marks... Im so mad at myself. Now i dont know if water came down through celling because i run it without flange or maybe some pipe is now loose and i have huge problem. Tub with walls is one thing. No acces under. This means i would have to remove whole tub/walls combo to be able to get to drain pipes and who knows if ceilling drywall above laundry doesnt have to be replaced. Im so mad at myself...
I will take shower now and check if leak shows again...

Old 06-25-17, 09:43 AM
I didnt put any putty. I dont know what is it. Im guessing some paste to prevent leaks.
You must apply putty. Roll out and apply a 1/2" to 3/4" bead of putty under the flange.
Apply 3 to 4 wraps of Teflon tape to the male threads and coat the tape with Teflon paste.
Screw in the drain using a Strainer wrench, here's an example:

HDX Basket Strainer Wrench-HDX147 - The Home Depot

Since your drain is leaking badly, I highly recommend you open the ceiling to let it dry and fix the leak at the same time. Opening the ceiling will also allow you to change the rubber washer that sits against the bottom of the tub.

Old 06-25-17, 04:49 PM
T
No more leaks after last tightening. I hope i dont have to remove tub . i will apply putty as soon as i can.

Old 06-25-17, 07:57 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
You must remove ceiling. It's wet and mold will start very shortly. If ceiling is drywall, replace it. Sorry you had so much trouble.