Toilet leaking water in to drain but not sure where

Old 06-28-17, 05:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet leaking water in to drain but not sure where

I have a toilet with a strange leak. I cannot see it or even hear it at the toilet, but I am 99.999% sure it is the toilet. Let me explain why I think it is this toilet.

I am doing a whole house remodel. This toilet is in a bath completed 8 months ago. I am now working on the master bath. The MBath is gutted and toilet removed. As I am working in the MBath I noticed the sound of water trickling in drain pipes. In tracking down the sound I cut off the water supply to the toilets in the other baths one-by-one. When I cut the water off to the toilet in question, the trickling sound ceased.

So, I attempted to diagnose. The toilet is about 8 months old. I bought it at Sams Club. It is a dual flush model. I turned the toilet water supply back on. I checked the MBath for the sound. The trickling was back. I went back to the suspect toilet and hear nothing.

My question- I am confident it is this toilet, but where could it be leaking and not hear anything at all at that toilet?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-17, 06:58 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
When you have an open drain without a trap, you can hear sounds all the way to the sewer as the pipe is one big sounding tube. What you hear can well be your neighbors using water in their houses and it trickling into the sewer at the street. You should plug your toilet hole with an oversized rag to prevent gases from getting into the house.

Old 06-28-17, 07:01 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Does the water level in the tank drop when you close the stop? If so, the flush valve is leaking. Don't know why you can't hear it at the toilet, but tracking sounds can sometimes make you crazy.

Old 06-28-17, 01:50 PM
S
"When you have an open drain without a trap, you can hear sounds all the way to the sewer as the pipe is one big sounding tube."

You may be right. I can only hear the trickling water sound through the open drain pipe left from the toilet that has been removed.

Well I am bumfuzzled. I turn off the water, but the tank water level never changes. So, I guess the water is not coming from the tank via a leaky flush valve.

I have a cleanout directly below the suspect toilet. I could open that up and see if any water is trickling out.

Weird.

Old 06-28-17, 05:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I turn off the water, but the tank water level never changes. So, I guess the water is not coming from the tank via a leaky flush valve.
Not necessarily - the flapper could be leaking and the incoming water is able to keep up with the rate of outflow.

Have you tried food coloring in the tank to see if it's leaking into the bowl?

Old 06-29-17, 06:11 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
The fill valve couldn't be keeping up if the stop is closed, which is what I asked. I have chased leaky flappers where the leak was so minute that a dye test would not show it. The only way was close the stop and wait several hours. Probably not applicable in this case where there is enough water running to hear it.

Old 06-29-17, 07:17 AM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
There are only two places for water to get from the tank to the bowl. If the dripping sound stops when you turn off the water supply to this specific toilet, it has to be one of these. My theory is that you are hearing water from the bowl dripping down into drain pipe. The only reason for this to happen is if the level of the water in the bowl is too high. It can happen if you are filling the bowl too high but that would stop dripping when the level in the bowl fell below the level of the exit. Since it is not stopping until you turn off the water feed to the toilet, I suspect you are continuing to overfill the bowl. An interesting way to check this is to put some food coloring in the bowl and leave the toilet unused for day or overnight. If the color of the water fades from your original color, then water is definitely flowing through it. Now follow how water can get into the bowl.

First is the flush valve/flapper which you say is working properly and not leaking. The other is the overflow tube into the tank. Check the height of the water in the tank when the fill valve shuts off. It should be about a half inch below the top of the overflow tube. If it reached the top of the fill tube, it may be overflowing into the bowl. If the water level in the tank is OK, look at the little tube that goes from the fill valve to the overflow tube. When the toilet is not filling, check this tube for water going into the overflow tube. If it still has a flow when the tank is not filling, then your fill valve is faulty. It is also possible that this tube is going down the overflow tube too far and creating a siphon which is sucking water from the tank down the tube. I believe the proper location of the end of the tube is to be above the overflow tube and not down inside it.

- Peter

Old 07-05-17, 06:18 AM
S
Hello Guys,

I pulled cleanout and can confirm it was not the toilet leaking. I think I am just hearing the drains from other traps within the house.

Thank you for your help.