What's the difference between cheap and expensive acrylic tubs?

Old 06-29-17, 07:54 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between cheap and expensive acrylic tubs?

Renovating our bathroom. Want to get a new acrylic alcove tub. There are quite a few of them out there, and difference in price is significant. Question is: what's the difference between a cheaper tub like this and a more expensive one like this?

Is it simply the brand name? Is one more durable than the other? And what exactly dies "durable" mean? If I drop something sharp/heavy into it, is the expensive one less likely to crack? Installation simpler?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 04:41 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
This would be enough for me to make a decision

• ADA compliant - complies with the standards set forth by the Americans with Disabilities Act
  • Product Meet or Exceeds the Following Codes/Standards: ADA, ICC/ANSI A117.1 and CSA B45.5/IAPMO Z124
But I would never want an acrylic tub. To me a steel with porcelain layer is a better choice.

Old 06-30-17, 05:23 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm no expert. My experience is limited to a sample size of 1. I remodeled my own bath in 2004 and knew nothing of tubs. Very few people stocked any because they occupy so much floor space. My wife picked one that was comfortable and cost only $130. It still works but looks awful, with several cracks that are cosmetic. I don't think you could go wrong with Kohler. Wish I had.

Old 06-30-17, 07:10 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The second link provided to the name brand tub is an extra deep soaking tub. It takes a propitiatory drain body and moves the overflow up to allow for more water depth than a traditional tub. The drain will add around $150 to the cost of the tub.

Old 06-30-17, 08:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
The only plastic tub and surround I would say to avoid are the most inexpensive models that are below $200 per piece. At that price point they are quite flimsy. Once you get up into the middle prices, $200 per piece and above the quality improves dramatically. Then as you move higher up in price there is improvement in quality but it's harder to spot and much of the price is due to design and style differences.