Gate valve replacement

Old 07-05-17, 01:55 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gate valve replacement

Attachment 82778

I have a number of an old version of this valve in my 1963 house. Can one replace them (leaks in my case!) by unscrewing them at the arrow? If not, how do I replace them (they are in-line!).

Thanks,

Hans LName:  Valve.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  44.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-17, 04:37 PM
X
I tried to repair a leaking gate valve once but it couldn't be done. Once I finally unscrewed it, there was nothing I could replace (no packing, no washer, and etc.). I had to replace the whole gate valve fitting. When using gate valves, you are supposed to use them fully opened and fully close them when finished or else they become damaged. A stop valve would have been a different story.

Old 07-05-17, 05:00 PM
H
Thank you, Xenzo. As gate valves are also called stop valves, could you show a pic on what you call a "stop valve"? Thanks!

Old 07-05-17, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
The problem with valves likes that is the upper section where the shaft comes thru is not a standard size. That means unless you get the same brand and type of valves.... a different company's wont fit.

The threads where it connects to the pipe are a standard pipe thread.

Old 07-05-17, 06:16 PM
H
PJmax, I went down to the basement to take a second look, and it turns out that my valves are soldered to the pipes, which makes replacement a real pain. I don't even know how to connect a valve of the type I posted.

Old 07-06-17, 12:00 PM
X
A gate valve actually uses a gate which is in the form of a circle shaped piece of brass that moves up and down as you turn the handle. A stop valve uses a rubber washer that presses down to stop the water flow.

Old 07-06-17, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
It would certainly be advantageous to replace those old style valves with ball valves.
Very little to leak or go bad.

Now would be a good time to learn how to solder.

Otherwise you may be able to cut the old valves out and replace them with sharkbite type valves. No soldering. The pipe just pushes in. However if the pipe is not long enough you won't have enough to bend down and reinsert into the new valve.

The typical way a plumber would replace those valves is to cut them out. Install the new valve on one of the cut ends of pipe and a no-stop coupling and a short piece of pipe on the other side.

Old 07-07-17, 07:15 AM
H
Xenzo & PJmax, replacement seems to be in the near future. I probably have a big job before me. I have soldered electronically, but never for plumbing. (I have two large solder sticks that I currently use when I need something heavy to keep something down :-).

So, with my original question answered (no part is replaceable, the entire valve has to be replaced), I will now build up my courage to tackle this on my own.

Thanks for your assistance!

Hans L

Old 07-07-17, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Soldering Plumbing is not hard just remember you can have zero water at joint. If you have a drip a piece of bread stuck in pipe will stop drip long enough to solder.

Old 07-07-17, 09:26 AM
H
Okay, pugsl, noted./Hans L