Please help me fix my leaky bathroom sink supply line!!

Old 07-11-17, 12:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help me fix my leaky bathroom sink supply line!!

I pushed a cabinet in and it jarred the supply line. However, the leak is not coming from the fastener area on the supply line itself based on careful analysis. The leak is actually comping from where the black plastic joins with the copper. I made a red arrow in my photo to show you. If you cant see it then enlarging the pic will reveal it. Is this part a proprietary part of the faucet system and I have to replace the whole faucet? Or it is a plumbing part I can buy at my local big box and repare myself? If the latter, what is the part called and is there sizing involved? Is it best I disassemble everything and bring it in to the store?

Name:  PLUMBING - Copy.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  34.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-11-17 at 07:18 PM. Reason: enlarged/enhanced/remarked pic
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-17, 04:26 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is that the hot or cold feed? Why is there a second flex line? Where does it go? It appears that you just need to replace the piece between that connects upper flex line.

Old 07-11-17, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The large line with the label is a supply line. The smaller line goes to the faucet.
Each valve has a feed line to the faucet.

I believe the smaller line snaps on to the valve body and is replaceable but not repairable.

We'd need to know the manufacturer to help further.
A picture of the top and an approx age are also helpful.

This is a Moen split handle system. It shows the lines to the faucet as snapping on.

Name:  moen.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 07-11-17, 10:40 PM
P
Hi PJmax, you are very correct. It's a pfister based on lots of googling and comparing photos online to the faucet and its parts underneath the sink. I'm certain. Here are the instructions. Based on what you said and looking at the instructions and photos, it seems I need this part:
https://www.build.com/pfister-971-03...76?uid=1701067

Instructions:
https://s2.img-b.com/build.com/media...stallation.pdf

Can you corroborate for me? Its kind of weird there are no actual part numbers on the installation sheet. Also Pfister's site refers people to build.com for the parts. I'm not promoting them.

Also, what is the proper way to remove the pin(s)? I'm gonna need to remove 3 in order to do the install. Squeeze the open end with my fingers? pliers?

Thanks again in advance!

Old 07-11-17, 10:56 PM
P
blob:http://www.homedepot.com/48c7b9c0-55...6-edd585509902

When I watch this Pfister video it seems I need a new valve instead?

Old 07-11-17, 11:14 PM
A picture of the top and an approx age are also helpful.
I don't recognize the faucet. It looks like the plastic nut with ears does not screw on, but is slipped on and the retaining pin is holding it in place.

I would pull out the pin from the right side arrow (you can see the pin legs on the left side). Be sure to shut off the water. Once the pin is removed the entire assembly should pull straight down. You could remove the supply line first if it's easier.

I'm thinking the brass nipple that the supply line is connected to needs a few wraps of Teflon tape and Teflon paste over the tape. It looks like the brass nipple screws into the black fitting or maybe just pushes in.

Old 07-11-17, 11:28 PM
You are good my friend.... That's your faucet. Pull out the pin with your fingers or pliers. It will be reinserted by pushing on it firmly and evenly.

I would order the "H" hose kit and O-rings for the valve if you can find them. It looks like the O-rings are not on the adapter "C", it looks like they are on the bottom of the valve inlet tube.

Old 07-11-17, 11:53 PM
P
I was able to remove the pin using my fingers. It seems the seal is not good where the copper meets the black part. But the black part is part of the whole valve assembly. Handyone, it only inserts in. I was able to pull it straight out and no unscrewing necessary. Does that mean the black part has some sort of O ring in it that might be damaged? I can't see how it would be a secure fit without some sort of O ring. Am I missing something? So you suggest to put teflon tape around the brass and reinsert it? If so, how long will this last?

Attached Images   
Old 07-12-17, 09:10 AM
P
Thanks to everyone who assisted so far. It was very helpful to me. I conformed that there is an O ring on the bottom part of the valve and that is probably damaged. Awaiting the part and will install and give you all an update.

Old 07-12-17, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I'm thinking the brass nipple that the supply line is connected to needs a few wraps of Teflon tape and Teflon paste over the tape. It looks like the brass nipple screws into the black fitting or maybe just pushes in.
So you suggest to put teflon tape around the brass and reinsert it? If so, how long will this last?
Never teflon tape anything that seals with o rings and/or washers, such as supply lines.

Old 07-12-17, 12:13 PM
Never teflon tape anything that seals with o rings and/or washers, such as supply lines.
Agreed, I misworded that...I thought maybe the nipple had threads.
The most you want to do with an O-ring is apply a little plumbers grease and even that is usually not needed. Compression fittings need nothing, no tape, dope, just a clean surface.

This is why Mike makes the big bucks, ensuring everything is savvy