Bathtub peeling repair

Old 07-11-17, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub peeling repair

A bathtub is rarely used (it is not used at all for more than a year sometimes), but the peeling still happens. See the picture taken earlier today.

I know there are instructions online for dealing with this, but I have always gotten the best tips from this forum for DIY things, so I want to ask for tips here. You could simply point me to the most relevant instructions for me to follow.

Another related question: how to seal bathtub drain? I suspect the drain's seal is broken because water is leaked to the ceiling of downstairs when the bath tub is used.

Name:  WP_20170711_16_14_08_Pro_crop.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  20.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-17, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Diy refinished tubs are always problematic. Best you can do is sand/clean it up and reapply the tub and tile paint.

Old 07-11-17, 03:51 PM
What would be the best way to cope with it? Hiring a Pro to do it? I am willing to consider it. How much would it cost?

Again, it is a minimally used tub. It has negligible impact on normal lives. I would be happy if the peeling is stopped and the tub is usable. I am not concerned about its Aesthetics at all.

Old 07-11-17, 04:49 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Result of poor prep by the last person to refinish it. Most likely didn't adequately remove soap scum before proceeding to paint it. I use professional tub reglazers all the time during bathroom updates. Quiz them on their process as you want the following steps. Acid etch after a thorough cleaning, Then Primer applied, then top coat. If they don't prime, find someone else. I've used the same guy for the last 10 years.

Old 07-11-17, 05:15 PM
Thank you for all the tips. I think that I have enough information for me to start assess all the options and make a decision.

Old 07-12-17, 10:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
We do just about everything we can ourselves in our units but even though it's expensive, we hire out this kind of work.

Old 07-13-17, 06:46 AM
Thank you for the advice, and I it take seriously.

I thought that I posted this under Plumbing. It looks like it is under
"Passenger Cars, Mini Vans, SUV Service and Repairs. (No Trucks)". if so, could someone help move it to the correct category?