Leaking Tank

Old 07-28-17, 03:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaking Tank

I recently replaced the floats in two of our toilets. One is fine but the other has a very tiny leak. I think it's around the right-hand (facing the toilet) tank to toilet bolt. The kits came with bolts with one rubber grommet, one metal washer and one nut for each. I put the metal washer on the bottom with the nut. After I first reattached the tank, there were no noticeable leaks but a few days later we noticed water on the floor (I had put blue deodorant in the tank.) I have leveled the tank, tightened the bolts as tight as possible and there is still a small leak. I even replaced the bolt - there were three in the kit but my commode only utilizes two. My commode does have ridges between the tank and bowl. I have looked at online videos and some installations show a rubber grommet and nut installed on the bottom of the tank itself. I am considering purchasing a kit with the extra grommet. I don't believe there is a crack in the tank. The irony is that I had a leak on the first toilet after I reinstalled it but I managed to stop that one by leveling the tank and tightening the bolts evenly. I've done that on the leaking one and still no luck. Any suggestions?

PS- I don't think the tank to bowl gasket is the culprit because the leak is on the side in the vicinity of the bolt.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-17, 03:50 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Buy a new set of nuts, bolts, washers & rubbers. Replace what's there.

Old 07-28-17, 03:52 PM
S
Thanks. I perhaps didn't make clear that the ones that are there are new. They were part of the kit to replace the float and flapper.

Old 07-28-17, 04:33 PM
S
I knew that. I don't trust them.

Old 07-29-17, 05:18 PM
S
New Bolt Kit

Well, I did what I was planning to do all along - went to Home Depot and bought a kit with double rubber grommets. I replaced the bolts that came with the flapper and float kit and it seems to have fixed the leak. I had blue deodorant in the tank and the only place where it was on the bottom was on the bolt where I suspected the leak was occurring. I used the same bolts on another tank and it doesn't leak but I tried two new bolts on this one and it kept leaking even though the nut was so tight the bolt wouldn't turn with a screwdriver. I don't know if it is the bolts themselves that fixed it or it's because of the second grommet (one is in the tank and the other on the outside). At any rate, I'd recommend using bolts with inside and outside grommets anytime you have to replace the bolts.

Old 07-29-17, 05:40 PM
S
You may never know but who cares? It doesn't matter now.