Why is my garden hose leaking at the connection?

Old 07-31-17, 08:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is my garden hose leaking at the connection?

Hello, my garden hose is leaking but NOT at the thread where I screwed the garden hose to the hose bibb. It leaks where the swivel (shown in silver below) and the tubing (shown in black below) are joint.

I also took a video: ***

Please help.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-31-17 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Link removed
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-17, 08:27 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The thread isn't for sealing. It is sealed by the rubber washer inside. Try a new washer.

Old 07-31-17, 08:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Yes, most garden hoses do not have a swivel. If the hose is free to turn when the nut is tight it's a good sign that the rubber washer is missing or needs to be replaced. Without the washer you can have a pretty good bit of water leaking out.

Old 08-01-17, 04:47 PM
A
Received 80 Votes on 74 Posts
Swivel the hose to the desired position and angle and then tighten the hut, The hose should no longer swivel easily otherwise the rubber washer inside is too small or has biodegraded excessively.

Also, undo the hose and check the extreme end of the male fitting (of the hose bibb or of another length of hose you are adding onto). There should be no nicks or burrs or out of roundness.

Or maybe the female fitting is starting to come loose from its hose.

Old 08-01-17, 04:55 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
My old eyes perceive a rubber washer caught in the threads between hose bibb and hose screw fitting.
Rectify that problem with a washer replacement and your problem will be solved.

RR

Old 08-01-17, 08:15 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It looks to me like a rubber or vinyl sleeve just below the connector to help prevent kinks. The connector itself IS a swivel female nut to attach to the male threads of the faucet. The arrow is pointing to the HOSE end of the connector and THAT tells me the connection to the hose itself is leaking and it is NOT the lack of a gasket (washer) causing the leak.

The cure may be to re-attach the coupler to the hose, IF it is a type that is not crimped. It may require a new replacement connector. Simplest is to buy a new hose.

Lastly, it has been 36 hours since the original post with no return. OP may be a one-post wonder.