Flushing toilets causes pipes near water softener to whistle

Old 08-02-17, 05:15 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flushing toilets causes pipes near water softener to whistle

Last week for the first time I notice that every time we flush either toilet, it causes a whistling sound around the water softener pipes. The whistle sound only last towards the end of the tank filling up (7 sec) I have replaced the filler tank valves in both toilets and it seems to have cut the sound down a little, but it is still there. I bypassed the water softener and the noise is gone. The whistle sounds is not there when you run the sink water during the toilet flushing. Reconnecting the water softener brings back the sounds. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-17, 05:44 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So when the pressure is reduced by running the water in the sink, the noise is gone. That means the the water softener is somehow increasing the pressure. Are the pipes a smaller diameter?

Old 08-02-17, 07:39 PM
G
Well, the pipes from the water softener are 3/4 inch copper going into the house. The turn off valve for the toilets appear to have 1/2 inch copper. I installed this softener in Dec. 2005 and the toilets were installed in Oct. 2008 and I have had no problems until a week ago. Just so you know, the water from the city goes through a whole house sediment filter(5 micron), then to the water softener, out through another sediment filter(10 micron) into the house. These filters were changed in Jan. of this year. Hope that helps. Thanks for your response.

Old 08-02-17, 08:15 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the pipes are 3/4 on the softener, that kills my theory.