FloodChek Hoses

Old 08-05-17, 07:22 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
FloodChek Hoses

I was going to order a pair of these. One of my stainless hoses just developed a drip overnight, second time this has happened although these hoses have been on for I guess over 5 years (I heard there is still a recommended replacement interval even on stainless). Same failure as last time, a crack on the 90 degree fitting, in the tube itself not a joint.
I like the FloodChek idea of using hydraulic hoses. But you need to buy a cast brass 45 degree fitting to add to it, and I know these can crack as well with time, we have had to have our main water shutoff valve replaced a couple times for the SAME thing, crack in the housing or body of the valve, not a leak at a seal, an actual crack seeping water. But would be cheaper, if the adapters crack in a few years, to replace the adapter I could obtain locally. But I just want the unexpected drip-fest to stop. I do have hammer arresters in the house and a pair on the machine itself.
So unsure if I need to go to this extreme of the FloodCheck, or just replace the hose and replace every 5 years.
As an addendum, when I go to order from FloodCheck, both the hoses and adapters, I get this:
Due to an unanticipated high demand, we are currently "Out of Stock of the Brass Coupling Adapters." Place your order today and the “estimated ship date” should be within 14 to 21 days.(says the same for the hoses just with the different product name)
So unsure if I should get them or not, I need something "now", but could buy cheapest for now and upgrade when I get these.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-17, 07:57 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
What are these going on.
Any Lowes, HD, hardware store should have the hoses for sinks, toilet, washing machine in stock with a built in flood check.

Old 08-05-17, 08:04 AM
G
I mean FloodChek brand name, google it. US made, quite expensive (for supply hoses), 20 yr warranty, sound really nice and good reviews. No 90 degree model though. Just going on a LG front loader washing machine.

Old 08-05-17, 08:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
As a washer repair tech I would always remove any flood check hoses. They can cause trouble with newer washers. They may have improved in the last couple of years.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-05-17 at 10:58 PM. Reason: and > any
Old 08-05-17, 12:34 PM
G
I am referring to the brand name "FLOODCHEK" hoses, they are not even "flood check" type of hoses.

Old 08-05-17, 01:53 PM
But you need to buy a cast brass 45 degree fitting to add to it
I am not sure what appliance you want to connect. Pugs mentioned a washing machine and that would be my guess also.

I don't install washers but I do install dishwashers and faucets. I do not use flood check hoses.
A properly installed braided stainless line should do you well for many years.
Manufacturers recommend changing hoses every 5 years, but I've seen hoses much older with no problems.

Some points:
Flood check hoses do not prevent leaks, they prevent catastrophic flooding/water gushing out.
In my experience the main cause of compression hose leaks is over tightening the nut.
A standard (3/8" compression) hose should be hand tight plus a quarter turn.
A washing machine hose (garden hose threads with washer) should be hand tight plus 1 full turn or a little more.

Old 08-05-17, 05:08 PM
G
You guys are acting like you can't even read my posts except the original post!

I am not talking about "flood check" hoses. I am referring to the brand name "FloodChek" hoses. They are not the type that prevent the major floods by shutting off if they leak, they are just really good hoses, here is a link:
Best Washing Machine Hose

I stated in post #3, the hoses are for a washing machine, LG front loader about 10 years old.

I've never had a hose leak (the hose itself), it has always been on the 90 degree coupler.

I can use a regular hose now since I installed a pair of hammer arrestors on the back of the machine itself. Like this:
Supply | Arresters & Trap Primers | Arresters | MiniResterâ„¢
So actually for now I am good since I bought a hose set without the 90 degree elbow.

Old 08-05-17, 05:18 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
As mentioned before no one here can see what your seeing without a picture.
What's your water pressure set at, should be no need for it to be above 60 PSI max.
Not sure without a picture where this elbow comes into play.
Your post says flood check, so that implies a check valve that shuts off if the flow is too high.

Old 08-05-17, 05:40 PM
G
Well no, it says FloodChek, I just did a little research on better quality supply hoses and came up with them. I guess no one here has heard of them. No biggie. I didn't think that supply hoses with a 90 degree end would cause that much confusion though, but anyways, that where it has leaked in me twice now is on the elbow, hopefully skipping the 90 degree end will make it more reliable.

Old 08-05-17, 05:44 PM
G
Old 08-05-17, 06:18 PM
I looked at the hoses, they look like they are fine quality but I still say I personally don't have a need and my butt is on the line.
As far as the elbow, it looks like high quality and I can't see a reason the elbow would leak.

Almost all new dishwashers require an elbow similar to yours, 3/4" hose threads. I haven't had a leak or a callback in 17 years. I recommend hand tight plus 1 to 1 1/2 full turn with adjustable pliers on the 3/4" fittings.

Old 08-05-17, 06:49 PM
G
Washing machine, not dishwasher. The elbow, in both cases, developed what I would call a hairline crack and started dripping, so a mess but not a huge deal like a burst hose would be.

Old 08-05-17, 07:39 PM
I think the arresters were a good decision. Hopefully that will solve any problems.

A hose like the below is good enough for any situation IMO:

http://www.fluidmaster.com/pro-serie...ine-connector/

Edit: I should note that the pro series is 1/4 turn only. They have a cone washer as opposed to a flat washer that requires more tightening.

Last edited by Handyone; 08-05-17 at 07:46 PM. Reason: washer
Old 08-06-17, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
In many years of washer repair I have never seen 90 bend crack. There must be some other reason for the crack. Are they under external pressure? Something pushing against them.

Old 08-06-17, 05:56 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
GillyWI;
If you are suppose to have a photo in your 1st post it's NOT there!