leak in basement under toilet when not flushed

Old 08-08-17, 10:23 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leak in basement under toilet when not flushed

Hey all, first post here. I came home from work last night and found that there was a leak in my basement directly around the toilet drain pipe. The leak was constant regardless of flushing or not. There is no water in the bathroom, around the toilet. I decided to replace the wax ring. I shut off the water and removed the toilet. I verified that the leak in the basement stopped. I put in the new wax ring, installed the toilet, attached the water and turned it on. Without flushing, I went downstairs and the leak was back. I flushed and the leak was constant. I thought maybe I just didn't install the wax ring correctly, but if it was a wax ring issue wouldn't the leak just happen when I flush?

Any advice appreciated.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-17, 10:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
You are correct if it is leaking when NOT flushed then it's not a wax ring. Take a look at the water line connection. Also feel around where the tank and bowl meet. The bolts that attach the tank to the bowl could be leaking.

Old 08-08-17, 10:40 AM
G
Thanks for the quick response. If the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl are a problem, could it cause water to leak down underneath the bowl and be seen in the basement but not on the floor around the toilet in the bathroom?

Old 08-08-17, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
If bolts or seal were leaking it would be on floor under toilet. Same with waxx ring unless toilet is on a platform.

Old 08-08-17, 02:26 PM
G
If by "under toilet" you mean within the area of the floor where the bowl meets the floor (so not visible when the bowl is not removed), then yes that did seem to be the case. When I removed the bowl the area underneath it was wet. Otherwise, looking around the toilet before I removed it, I did not see any water. I will double check that tonight. Thanks!

Old 08-08-17, 03:55 PM
G
Problem solved! It was a very loose bolt holding the tank to the bowl. Bought & installed a new set and no leaks. I guess the water must have been following the contour of the bowl and going underneath, as I really didn't see any wetness on the floor in the bathroom. Thanks for the suggestions!