Water used upstairs, sulfur smell downstairs

Old 08-09-17, 04:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water used upstairs, sulfur smell downstairs

Hi. New to the forums.

We are in a 2-story built in 1993, been here about 4 months. We're finding that when we use water on the second story (sink, toilet, shower), the first floor becomes filled with a sulfur smell. The first floor contains a 1/2 bath, kitchen, and laundry.

What's interesting is that the smell only occurs after an extended period of non-use, e.g. when we return home from work in the evening. However, we do not smell anything after using the shower in the morning.

The previous owners said that they smelled it, too, and that their solution was to run the faucets in the basement (full bath, kitchenette) for a little bit to alleviate the smell.

What is going on?!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Adam

Old 08-09-17, 05:14 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it only happening with hot water use? If you aren't sure, test it.

Old 08-10-17, 02:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums! ..... Is this well water?

Old 08-10-17, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I think I'm thinking of the same issue as ShortyLong and marksr. If you are on well water and notice the smell mainly in the hot water then it might be a bacteria (not harmful) in the water. It's somewhat common in well water and the bacteria eats the anode inside the water heater and produces a sulfur or rotten egg smell.

Old 08-10-17, 06:16 AM
S
I don't know about the "not harmful" part. It might not kill anyone but it can't be good.

Old 08-10-17, 10:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sulfur water is supposed to be healthy ..... if you can get past the taste/smell. If the well has a mild sulfur content the cold water is generally not noticed but hot and/or stagnate water will have an unpleasant odor.

Old 08-10-17, 01:39 PM
A
Thanks for the quick replies!

To answer the questions:

no, this occurs with hot AND cold water use (whether a toilet is flushed, or a shower is ran)

we are on city water; Roswell, GA.

The only time we can smell it is when the fixtures upstairs are used. If fixtures on the ground floor or basement are used, like doing dishes, we cannot smell anything.

Old 08-10-17, 04:36 PM
S
Sulfur water is supposed to be healthy
That's debatable. One site said that it causes diarrhea. Either way, I'll pass.

Old 08-11-17, 05:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
At this point I would have your water tested by your local Health or Environmental Services Dept. Do NOT call a water treatment company to do the testing. Your Health Dept. is not in the business to sell you anything so you can be assured their results will be unbiased. Call the Health Dept. and set up the testing. Let them know the problem you are having and they can advise what tests should be done. The testing is cheap and done at the state's lab. Once you have the results you can determine a course of action.

Old 08-11-17, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Over the years, we have had several people here who complained of nasty odors coming from their drains. I can think of at least one who actually followed the advice he was given, which was to replace the TRAP in the room that stunk, and it solved his problem. So perhaps that is something you could try.

My guess is that this problem has nothing to do with the water itself- if it did, you would smell it where you are actually running water. If it is happening below where the water is being run, it's likely a sewer problem... only thing you would smell from that is the water sitting in the traps. I guarantee its nasty.

Old 05-14-18, 05:20 PM
A
Time to revisit

After all this time, the problem persists. Rather it has returned.

All fall/winter we had no problems with smelly water. Now that it’s getting warm again (85+ the last week!) whenever we use upstairs water fixtures (toilet/shower), especially in the afternoon (?) the ground floor gets that mast sulphur smell. I just flushed (7pm) and my wife had to text me to find out what in the world I did.

I’m still assuming it’s gas that isn’t venting, but not sure how to proceed with checking and correcting. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: