Toilet pipe sweating

Old 08-21-17, 09:27 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet pipe sweating

I'm new to the forums, so if there's already a post on this, please just redirect me to it. I'm also new to home repair stuff, so forgive my lack of proper jargon. Despite that, I'm pretty good with my hands and fixing things, so minor DIY projects are not a problem for me.

Tonight I noticed a water leak in my downstairs ceiling, it turns out the pipe that the water and waste go down when the toilet upstairs flushes, looks to be sweating. So much so, it's causing a small drip to come through the dry wall in the ceiling. I'm 90% certain this is the issue. I pulled away some of the material where the drip is coming from to.expose the source. The pipe does have water on it, I can't find any steady leak or anything else that would indicate something else being the problem.

Yesterday, I did have to replace the flushing mechanism inside the tank of this same toilet, so it's possible I didn't get a right seal when putting everything back together. However, the tank and the bowl also have condensation on them, if that helps. The downstairs are is a walkout basement, we have no A/C in the house, the water is well water, and it's been fairly warm and humid these past few days (just in case it helps). Any advice on where to go with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-17, 04:46 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just to be sure that we are on the same page, we are talking about the 4" drain under the toilet. The curved part is know as the lead bend although it may have been replaced with PVC. Dry everything with a rag & flush the toilet a few times. It will ne easier to determine where the leak is. Is the toilet loose? Can you rock it? The hold down bolts could be loose.

Old 08-22-17, 05:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
If you replaced the valve and only now do you have a water problem strongly points to a leak somewhere. Double check every connection and anyplace water can leak like the tank to bowl connection.

I also suspect a leak and not condensation because you only mention condensation on the water line and drain line. If you truly had a condensation problem your toilet tank would be the major culprit and not the pipes.