Removing old temptrol faucet cover

Old 08-25-17, 08:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing old temptrol faucet cover

This house we purchased several years ago has an old temptrol shower system in which the handle can't be removed from the cartridge. There is no rear access without cutting out the drywall and valve-supporting 2 x 4. The only problems with this shower is a washer is worn out, causing leaking, and the mixer needs to be adjusted. I would hate to replace the whole shower just for that, but I can't get the faucet cover off the cartridge. I know these two pieces tend to "weld" together over a long time. I tried a faucet puller but it only bent the legs of the puller, and was not able to push adequately against the back of the shower which is a plastic-type of insert. Does anyone know of any other tricks for trying to dislodge this cover to replace the washer? Thank you so much.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-17, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I have made a heavy duty knob puller but you can purchase better quality ones from plumbing suppliers. The ones sold by big box home centers are almost useless. First I would remove the center screw and spray with penetrating oil and do that every day until the new puller arrives. Then try the better puller. Still, there is a decent chance you may end up destroying the knob trying to remove it.

Another option since the knob my die no matter what you do is to cut it off. A Dremel can work well as would a pneumatic cut off wheel or die grinder but you can also go old school and use a hack saw. Basically you start at the edge and cut inwards. Do NOT cut into the center steel or brass stem of your faucet. Cut the handle a ways then grab the edges of your cut with pliers and pull the cut open. When you get close enough to the center it should split away from the stem. Then, obviously you'll need to buy a new knob.

Old 08-25-17, 10:22 AM
B
Thank you SO much. This is incredibly helpful advice. I ordered a replacement handle on ebay and am very grateful to not have to rip out the shower!

Old 08-25-17, 03:18 PM
J
Did you pop out the little button in the center of the knob? There is a screw under it that you will remove in order to pull off the handle. Give Temptrol a call. They are located in Braintree MA. Depending on who you talk to they may send you replacement parts at no cost. Also, Temptrol Web site has lots of instructions on repairing these and replacing parts.

P.S. The button is held in by little prongs...use a sharp knife edge to pop it off.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 08-25-17 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-17, 04:24 PM
B
Yes, I know about the screw, but the faucet handle is metal and has fused to the metal spindle over the past few decades. This is a common problem with old Symmons showers. Rebuilding these seems to be a difficult task because the hot and cold seats are frozen and hard to remove and the spindle beneath the handle is also usually frozen like this one. Online, people seem to just break off the end of the spindle and the faucet handle with pliers, toss and replace.