Venerable Delta tub spout with diverter: repair or replace?

Old 09-07-17, 07:03 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Venerable Delta tub spout with diverter: repair or replace?

Nearly thirty years ago, whoever built out the apartment in which I'm lucky enough to live, did not skimp on the fixtures. The Delta diverter spout in the tub has only just failed the diverter no longer works so I unscrewed it to take a look (see photos). It is a heavy-duty piece of kit. About 4 lb of well-chromed brass.

I am loth to discard it, partly because I'm cheap of course, but partly because it would seem such a waste and i can't see anything wrong with the mechanism, which seems very simple: I've unscrewed and removed the lower, outer part. I haven't popped off the inner ring off the spindle because I'm afraid of busting it but nothing seems broken or worn to the point where it would impair function. It's not visibly scaled up and the washer above looks sound.

Any idea what needs to be done? What's happening in use is that when the diverter knob is pulled up, the diverter operates and water flows to the shower overhead. But when the knob is released, instead of being held in place by the diverted water flow, and maintaining flow to the shower, the knob drops back down and water flows through the spout again.

It's annoying because there's nothing obviously wrong.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-17, 07:20 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can the guts be replaced? If not, I know that you said that you're cheap but a total replacement can't be that much? Have you priced it?

Old 09-07-17, 07:30 AM
L
Originally Posted by Donato_ View Post
Can the guts be replaced? If not, I know that you said that you're cheap but a total replacement can't be that much? Have you priced it?
That's what I'm wondering can the guts be replaced? i can call Delta, but judging by their web site, which is a disaster, I'll get a quicker answer here maybe, for example, the guts are some standard mechanism that I can buy third-party; while it might be in Delta's interest to obsolete their own gear to push customers to replace with new I've come across that practice elsewhere.

Total replacements: there are indeed inexpensive options like this one:

Westbrass 5-1/4 in. Rear Diverter Tub Spout with Rear Connection in Chrome-YE531D-12R - The Home Depot

but with no disrespect to the manufacturer or the retailer, it is a much tinnier, lower-quality item than the one I have, which is pretty Isembard Kingdom Brunel. What do we expect for $11? In today's market, something of comparable quality to my spout is much, much more expensive:

American Standard Deluxe 5.125 in. Diverter Tub Spout, Polished Chrome-023572-0020A - The Home Depot

Old 09-07-17, 08:17 AM
D
There is a rack of Delta replacement parts in Home Depot. Why don't you take it there to see what's available?

Old 09-07-17, 01:19 PM
L
Why didn't i think of that?

Thanks, man. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-07-17, 03:19 PM
D
LOL. That's the good thing about the internet.

Old 09-07-17, 04:00 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
If it's later than 1997, there is a good chance that it will be covered under lifetime warranty. Call DELTA and ask.

Old 09-13-17, 01:40 PM
L
Thanks Donato, thanks Norm

I know I mentioned that I am cheap, but I should have added that I am stupid with it: I assumed it was Delta because most of the plumbing fixtures here are Delta, but this one isn't it turs out to be American Standard.

However, the problem is solved, so ib case it will help others save time in future, here's how it worked out:

After calling A.S. customer service, I emailed them photos of the gear and the following day received the attached parts diagram. What I need is the Diverter Tub Spout Repair Kit. As it turns out (another exchange of emails with A.S. customer service) the part has been retired, but replaced with compatible part number 012653-0020A, available from third-party sellers online (try eBay, Google Shopping, Amazon).

So the part is on the way. If you don't hear from me again on this thread, assume that it was straightforward to remove the old one and fit the replacement.

Thanks again - you set me in the right direction.

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-17, 01:46 PM
D
I'm glad to hear that you found the solution.

Old 09-13-17, 02:09 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Right around 1995 to 1997 most name brand faucets, Moen, American Standard, Price Phister, Delta, Hansgrogh, and others change manufacturing methods and all went to a lifetime warranty. In most cases, regardless of the model, single handle faucets will use one cartridge and two handles will another, all within the same brand.

Old 09-30-17, 07:31 AM
L
Thanks again. Not to beat the subject to death, but I'm getting a much better shower now, There's almost no leakage just a small drop from the diverter, so the pressure through the shower head is noticeably stronger. Should have sprung the $14 years ago....!