pvc compression rings

Old 09-16-17, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pvc compression rings

I changed brass shot off that was attatched to a 1/2 cpvc piece of pipe and found a pvc compression fitting had been used rather than a brass one. Thought it made sense, wanted to pick up a couple extras and c ould not find them in any hd or lowes that being said, can someone use a brass compression ring on cpvc?
Appreicate your advice.]

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 05:48 PM
The Delrin sleeves for 1/2" are kind of hard to find. 1/4" and 3/8" are easy to find.
Here's a link to a 1/2": https://www.mclendons.com/56734-1-2-...n-Sleeves.aspx

I would use the brass ferrule and ensure you use a brass insert. A sharkbite valve is also acceptable and includes an insert and simply pushes on to a depth of ~ 7/8".

Old 09-17-17, 03:41 PM
Thank you Brian. Why a brass insert, especially with a brass ferrule? This cpvc piping is hard/rigged type not tubing or flexible type. I had heard and read that using a brass ferrule on plastic can cut into it and I can understand that if in fact it was a soft tubing, but on piping I am lost as to how it could cut into the plastic pipe. I also heard wrapping it with Teflon tape was suggested. I was surprised when I pulled the shut off valve apart, installer used a pvc ferrule on the cpvc pipe and really it made sense to me but....it did not have insert either...........that is why I am not sure what the insert would serve, can on tubing but not on piping. Any thoughts.

Old 09-18-17, 05:05 AM
I guess you can use the brass ferrule without an insert, the pipe is rigid enough.
Delta faucets use integrated PEX supply lines and no insert is required, so I can look at it as the same.

I would not wrap the ferrule with tape. Just tighten the nut until the ferrule grabs the pipe, and then tighten 1/2 turn.

Old 09-19-17, 06:17 AM
Thanks again Briar, I just had a feeling that with ridged pipe an insert would not be used. Appreciate your time and advice.