Can I change the swing of this shower door?

Old 09-21-17, 07:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I change the swing of this shower door?

Hi All, I recently bought a new home and one of the major quirks for me is this shower door in the master bath that awkwardly swings open in the wrong direction (see pics). You literally have to squeeze between the door and the toilet to get in and out of the shower, as opposed to just opening it and stepping in if it opened the other way! How easy is it to change the direction of the swing without having to install a whole new door?

Attached Images    

Last edited by MsKumariLuvsDIY; 09-21-17 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-17, 07:39 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How is it in the wrong direction? If you change it, you won't be able to grab a towel without completely walking out or the shower & closing the door while water is dripping everywhere. I, for one like to have the towel first. On a cold morning, the difference in temp between inside & outside the shower is enough to annoy me.

Old 09-21-17, 07:43 AM
M
It's in the wrong direction because you have to brush against the toilet to get in and out! A towel gets thrown over the door during showers so it's readily accessible afterwards. We dry off IN the shower before stepping out! The "decorative" towels you see don't get used. lol.

Old 09-21-17, 07:51 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LOL. I never understood decorative towels. Anyway, I know that storm doors & refrigerator doors are reversible. I imagine that shower doors are too but I don't know for sure. Someone else will have the answer.

Old 09-21-17, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
If it's like any other shower door I've seen before.... the door and hinge are an assembly.

You could unscrew the door and hinge part from the wall and flip the entire unit over.
Now...that leaves problems like the sweep at the top instead of the bottom and some shower doors are not entirely sealed on the bottom.

So to answer your question directly.... no.
You cannot change the swing of your shower door.

Old 09-21-17, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
One possibility would be to remove the shower door, caulk the screw-holes, and replace it with a curtain rod & shower curtain.

Old 09-21-17, 11:55 AM
M
Thank you PJmaxx! I'll have a look and see if the sweep looks like it can be removed and placed on the other end of the door. I figure worse case scenario is I'll then be left with holes on the top. Something I could live with.