Pedestal sink supply

Old 09-24-17, 06:39 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pedestal sink supply

Replacing faucet on pedestal sink and the nice looking polished supply lines now seem a little short. They are maybe 1/2" shy of seating into the new faucet tailpipes. I can actually start the nuts, I'm just afraid they are going to leak because not seated. Or if I torque the nuts too much I'll cause a leak below at the shutoff.

Haven't made it to the store yet but I'm guessing they only make a few lengths for the polished chrome supply lines. When I tried searching online all I could find were $300 kits that had the shutoffs too. I'd like to keep them ideally since they are visible and look nice, they go straight all the way to shutoffs at floor. Options...
1-torque the nuts and stretch the pipes
2- replace with 1/2" longer nice shiny supply pipes
3-reppace with longer flexible but not as pretty supplies

Thoughts, other options?

Tried to take a couple pictures and now I have it closer, is this good enough to torque it down? Just Teflon on the threads or some other sealant in the tapered fitting?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-17, 06:43 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Replace them with new longer lines.
I only use flex lines, far faster and easier to install.

Old 09-24-17, 07:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You will find as Joe said braided stainless steel flex lines are a better solution.

If you still want to do it the hard way you can buy longer chrome lines and cut to length. If you have flare type supply valves and don't have a flaring tool change the valves to compression unless they are soldered on then... well you see why we are recommending flex lines.

Old 09-25-17, 01:51 AM
I like the chrome-plated copper supplies for exposed locations. You don't have to buy a $300 set -- they're available at most plumbing supply places for just a few bucks. I've never found them all that difficult to install, but I was brought up with them.

Here's one 20" long on Amazon for $12, which seems kinda high to me.

https://www.amazon.com/LDR-507-F1120...t+supply+lines

Last edited by steve_gro; 09-25-17 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added some words
Old 09-25-17, 05:06 AM
K
Thank you all for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Old 09-25-17, 06:47 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I found 20" chrome supplies to be a little too short so I had to use both 3/8 compression supplies and braided supplies.

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-17, 09:09 AM
S-traps as shown in your picture are a code violation.

Old 09-26-17, 12:51 AM
FWIW, chrome supplies come in different lengths. I have a 3 footer around here somewhere.

And I should mention that I'm an old guy and have been using them for decades. I have a bender that can make them look very slick.

There's /weren't/ any flexes for many of the years I was working. I remember when they first showed up -- our inspectors didn't like them at all. Things change.

Last edited by steve_gro; 09-26-17 at 12:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-27-17, 07:03 AM
G
Originally Posted by ray2047
code violation
I guess they make them for export to India then.
Show something that will fit within the pedestal and line up with the floor flange. The usual (code compliant) setup does work fine for thru-wall drains.

Old 09-27-17, 10:12 AM
A P-trap will work but sometimes only a 1" P-trap will work.

Old 09-28-17, 06:49 AM
G
I've had no luck finding an example on Google. All P-trap images were of thru-wall connections or of islands where the piping was hidden in a large cabinet. Maybe I just didn't find the magic combination of keywords to search on.

This is in a log cabin so there's no hollow wall. When I updated the bathroom I just replaced what was already there with new. No siphon issues for the 5 years I've owned it.
I do understand WHY the code is as it is but I can't figure another way that works for a pipe that goes thru the floor directly under the sink, and can't be hidden in a cabinet.

I blame my wife for insisting on a pedestal sink.

Old 12-01-17, 05:07 PM
K
just following up on my old thread.... i went with the braided flex lines. i wanted to add that i was hung up on finding the exact length chrome but once i saw it at local store for a few bucks i realized it comes with one tapered end, then you cut the other end to fit as needed. just in case any others like me need that tidbit of info