Gap between tub and tiles

Old 09-25-17, 10:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap between tub and tiles

I am looking for a way to fill the large gap between the tub and the surrounding marble tile. The gap is 1/4 to 3/8 and is a little hard to measure because the tub is rounded near the gap. At one point in the past, I tried to fill this with grout and then silanized it but it didn't last too long. Everything seems solid and I cant see see any damage or rot. Please suggest a way to make this waterproof and look good too! I do have some extra tile but not sure if a cut piece would be too this for this repair.Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-17, 10:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I would caulk it with a silicone caulk. Grout is likely to crack and break away but the caulk will stay flexible and keep water out.

Old 09-25-17, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Pilot - that joint should be caulked with silicon caulk. The tub and grout will expand differently and grout will often (if not always) crack where it meets metal.

If white caulk doesn't suit you, some tile stores have a better selection of colors.

Old 09-25-17, 10:57 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Just dont use 100% silicone caulk.

Use the much improved latex siliconized caulk with Microbran or you will soon be asking how do I clean out all that nasty mildew.

KWIK SEAL ULTRA Premium Siliconized Sealant - DAP

Old 09-26-17, 08:57 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. One thing I forgot to mention is that gap is several inches deep which could take up very large volumes of caulk to fill and I worry if thick slabs of caulk would cure. Is there a preferred method for somehow prefilling the gap with something solid? I also wonder how difficult it would be to smooth the fat 3/8" bead of caulk with no support behind it. Does anyone have any experience with Loctite or Sikaflex polyurethane? I once used polyurethane to attach a 1/2" thick piece of polycarbonate to concrete when installing a radon fan and, when I pried it off years later, it actually removed divets from the concrete.

Old 09-26-17, 04:06 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
I hate when this forum says I have to have 25 characters, why!!

Foam backer rod!