Crack in Shower Glass

Old 09-25-17, 12:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack in Shower Glass

Hello all,

I have a 20+ old shower that is housed by glass tiles, with the wall itself being around 3 inches thick. I believe from looking at the tiles, that there are two of them cemented against each other, but I'm not entirely certain. One tile (or two, I guess) now has some cracks forming in it from the last tenant that seem to have expanded over time and I can definitely see moisture in them. I want to either stop the crack from spreading or consider replacement, though I'm concerned about the cost of that.

I have read some headings that suggest epoxy, windshield repair kits and other solutions, so I wanted to ask here for which is 'the best'. I know on a fundamental level that replacement is probably a valid approach, but I'm uncertain I want to take on that cost or the time involved.

As always, thanks for your time and for your help. I really appreciate this forum and its friendliness.

Attached Images    
Old 09-25-17, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Well, sad to say, if your glass blocks have cracked, then they are not tempered. Tempered glass is required near a location like a shower or tub. The entire thing is a liability and needs to be completely replaced. Whoever built it was not following basic building codes.

R308.4.5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: