Removing bathroom faucet valve assembly

Old 09-30-17, 02:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing bathroom faucet valve assembly

Hello. I am replacing a Moen bathroom faucet with separate handles to a one-piece Moen faucet. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the valve assembly, which seems to be non-standard according to Moen's assembly instructions for the old faucet (Moen Brantford).
I need to completely remove this assembly because the new faucet is a one-handle model with a baseplate to cover the other two holes.

Attached Images    

Last edited by rsg1234; 09-30-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 04:38 PM
S
Sawzall? Lol I sure cant tell how it's mounted. Worst case I guess you replace the porcelain sink as well. Good luck

Old 09-30-17, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'll lay odds the only thing holding it is those 2 what appear to be washers on top that are just bonded to the threads on the valve body with old dried plumbers putty. Some solvent or a little heat and a dowel in the valve holes as a handle should loosen it.

Old 09-30-17, 05:02 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I kinda thought like Gunguy.
I would figure that ring is supposed to back off via the threads. Look for a notch or a bump/ridge that you could put a screw driver blade or a punch against & tap it counter clockwise.

I'm saying look for one of those things. If you find it, tighten the faucet back down from underneath, then if you thinks its supposed to back off then bump that ring around & see if it will back off.

Again, I dont know so just look for that & see if its an option.

Old 10-01-17, 04:27 PM
R
Thanks for your help everyone. I realized the projection that came up in the middle hole toward the front of the sink had the inner shape of a hex wrench, so I loosened that. The threads in the side holes are held in by clips which were corroded and broken down. I had to get the tip of a screwdriver, hit it with another tool, and work each side of the clips out. Some of the clips broke into many pieces. I am attaching a pic of the removed clips and the finished project (I completed the same thing on the other sink in this bathroom).

Edit: sorry, not sure why the photos are rotated; they are not like that on my computer.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: