Confirming next step in toilet repair

Old 10-08-17, 11:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Confirming next step in toilet repair

hi everyone

read the sticky and just wanted to make sure i'm taking the next logical step before i take the plunge.

toilet flushes, then fills, then after filling keeps running at a negligible rate - it sounds like a very faint hiss, but water is definitely moving. barely noticeable, invisible in the tank, and causing a very slight disturbance in the bowl.

replaced the flapper. the flapper seat rim shows no sign of pitting/corrosion - it is smooth all around. no change.

after tank refills, when i lift the ball **** by 1/2 inch, the hissing stops. it starts again if i release it.

via the sticky, it seems like i should buy and install a new fill valve.

because i'm inexperienced, just wanted to post this and make sure i'm not missing something.

thanks!

greg

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Before replacing the float valve you could try adjusting your current one. Turning the adjustment screw clockwise will usually lower the valve, counterclockwise will raise it.

If your rod was metal, (looks plastic) you would usually bend the rod to force the float down into the water slightly. This will usually stop a running valve.

Old 10-08-17, 11:32 AM
S
thanks for your help. forgot to mention that i tried that step in incremental quarter-turns, and it didn't alleviate the problem. eventually, it choked off the supply.

Old 10-08-17, 11:33 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The float is laying on top of the overflow tube & there is way too much slack in the chain. The chain maybe getting caught under the flapper. There is a newer type of fill valve that doesn't use a ball. You can try that too.

Old 10-08-17, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Probably time to replace it then. A fluidmaster style fill valve will probably work better.

Old 10-08-17, 11:46 AM
S
Thanks everyone for your time. Appreciate it.