Water in toilet bowl (not tank) higher after valve replacement?

Old 10-10-17, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in toilet bowl (not tank) higher after valve replacement?

Hi I had a fill valve replaced because the toilet would make a loud whining noise after flushing. After the new replacement I noticed the water is higher in the bowl. I adjusted the valve in the tank and the water lowered in the tank but the bowl is still high. Is that normal? Does it just depend on the valve? It was a fluidmaster valve universal one that you can pick up at Home Depot.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
I just replaced one and it had a valve on the fill tube to stand pipe, I had to change the setting on it. If yours has one move the wheel to let more water in. A piece I have never seen before.

Old 10-11-17, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
The level of water inside the bowl is limited by the trap. It sounds like your old fill valve was not letting enough water through the refill tube to completely fill the bowl.

Old 10-11-17, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The water going to the bowl goes from the fill valve to the overflow tube via a little plastic tube. Depending on whether the tube is directed into the overflow tube, as it is designed to be, or is simply directed into the tank, the amount of water that ends up in the bowl will be significantly different. If you would prefer a lot less water in the bowl, try redirecting the water going to the overflow tube to your tank and see if you prefer that.

The more water in the tank and bowl the more that can be flushed down a toilet so it is a trade off, but I have a toilet at a cottage, where I am trying to reduce the amount of water I use and have that tube shooting its water into the tank instead of the bowl, during a flush. I have never had any problem flushing, with that set up.