Shower trim threads stripped

Old 10-14-17, 06:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower trim threads stripped

I recently had to replace a Kohler Rite-Temp pressure balancing valve and and mixer cap and have a question.

Everything went fine, except for the very last step, which was reinstalling the circular trim around the faucet handle.

The mixer cap seems to be held in place by a large shorter screw on the right and left side, but the cap has a hole on the top and bottom as well. The trim piece that surrounds the faucet handle is held in place with two screws that feed through those top and bottom holes and are over 3 inches long for some reason.

I was able to remove the screws without much hassle, but upon trying to put them back in, I must have used too much force and the lower hole became cross-threaded so I can't get them in more than about 1.5 inches..

My question is: being that those screws are just holding the trim in place, can I assume that the are not mechanically significant and could be replaced by shorter screws?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-17, 08:20 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you strip the screw itself or the hole? Can you remove the plate so you can see what's happening when you turn in the screw?

Old 10-15-17, 09:39 AM
B
The hole is stripped/cross threaded. If I try to put a new screw in that hold, it stops about a 1.5 inches in and chews up the threads on the screw. A new screw on the top hole goes in fairly easily.

I can take it off to look, but I'll have to go through the whole process of shutting of the water and removing all the pieces again. In my experience, the less you mess around with working plumbing the better, especially when it comes to currently non-leaky faucet - but I may not have a choice in the matter.

Old 10-15-17, 10:03 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Use shorter screws if it solves the problem. As you said, it's only a plate.