Help Identifying Shower Valve / Stem / Cartridge

Old 10-16-17, 03:45 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying Shower Valve / Stem / Cartridge

Hey forum!

Need help identifying shower components.

Sprung a leak, again. Washers have been replaced twice, so we think its time for a new stem or cartridge (probably need a water softener too). Not sure what the difference is between a valve, stem, and cartridge. Would love to know!

A.) If I were to replace this part, what would it be called and what brand do I replace it with?

B.) What tool would I need to remove it?

Check out the photos.. Thanks Nik

Attached Images    

Last edited by Nikki Neal; 10-16-17 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-17, 04:38 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Can't tell what brand from this pic. Maybe the brand is marked on the crowling or chrome pieces that cover the stem.

You use a wrench. preferable an adjustable wrench. If you remove the stem, bring it to a plumbing house (not a home improvement store) and see if they can match it.

difference is between a valve, stem, and cartridge. Would love to know!
Essentially the same item. But a valve is the whole thing ready to be screwed, soldered or snapped into place and ready to use. A stem is the guts or the part that moves to allow water to flow. A cartridge is an assemble that that takes the place of a stem. It's more like an all in one replaceable part. A stem will have washers and maybe "o" rings attached. A cartridge does not have washers but an "O" ring system and a body with orifices that allow the water to flow.

Old 10-16-17, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Looks very similar to what I have. Old American Standard. You may very well need to have the seat resurfaced if it's chewing up the washers.

Where is it leaking ?

Old 10-16-17, 06:08 PM
N
Thanks for replying.

Leaking is coming from inside the part, as far as I can tell.

Might be hard water doing most of the damage.

If I were to purchase new parts, would I still need to consider resurfacing the seat?

I'll add an image with a red arrow pointing to where the water is coming from.

Old 10-16-17, 06:19 PM
N
Thanks for the breakdown Norm201.

The main reason I am here is that I tend to get ill advice from HD or Lowes associates. So i'll definitely look into a specialized supplier.

Old 10-16-17, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Looks like just the packing is leaking... All you need to do is tighten that nut some..

Could be any brand as its hard to tell.. east coast here NJ we often see Gerber or price pfister in that old 3 handle design/ There were some american standards like that..

If you have access to the back you can upgrade to a washer less type 3 handle design...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Adler-...lve/1000126725

Old 10-17-17, 07:05 AM
Like Lawrosa, it's hard to say but that could be a Price Pfister. PP was a popular 3 handle valve body.
Here's a view of the valve seats, they should be removable using a seat wrench:

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-17, 06:53 PM
G
Get some graphite packing, like string, Back off on the nut and wrap it clockwise. Some grease may not be a bad idea. Tighten the nut with the packing behind it and open and close that stem unit it is not to tight. If it is leaking around the handle that will do the trick. If it drips out of the head then the stem will have to be removed and a new washer and/or seat is in your future.