Tub drain needs tile over this hole

Old 10-18-17, 07:47 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub drain needs tile over this hole

Im putting (or intending to) a stand alone tub where our spa tub use to be. The black lines on the slab represent where the base of the tub will go but there is a 1'x1'x1' hole in the slab where the drain waste goes. This new tub has a center drain and I have 6" of room under the tub to route the PVC but that still leaves this hole that needs tile over it. Can I just fill the rest of the hole with concrete? I would like the tile to all be the same level and don't want to do an elevated platform under the tub. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-17, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
Your terminology is incorrect. You are not tiling and that big sheet on the floor is not tile. The rough (not pretty) floor is usually referred to as the sub floor. The big sheet with the crack looks like it might be Hardie backer or some other sheeting. I assume you have wood framing underneath as I don't see concrete anywhere, that also means you really can't concrete the hole.

It is odd that I don't see drain piping in your photo. The pipe that I can see looks to be way to small and looks more like a water supply line.

Ideally you would remove the sheeting that's there since it appears broken. Then relocated the drain plumbing so it aligns with the drain location in the center of your new tub. Then new sheeting can be installed. Materials like plywood, OSB or Advantech are commonly used.

Old 10-19-17, 06:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It is odd that I don't see drain piping in your photo
Maybe poor image. I seem to see it.

Attached Images