Water coming down SinkTop switch's air tube

Old 11-16-17, 09:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water coming down SinkTop switch's air tube

Hello all

Moved into a new apartment, all of a sudden see water damage to the board of the cabinet below the sink. Finally it seems that the SinkTop switch (https://s2.img-b.com/build.com/media...stallation.pdf) for the insinkerator appears to get wet (on top of the counter) and the water is conducted on the outside of the air tube, ever so slowly, and ends up eventually dripping. But it's not like the switch can be expected to be kept completely dry - it's next to the sink and will get wet and be pressed by wet hands. Is it just installed wrongly?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
I would think a switch like that would be sealed to the sink apron with plumbers putty or caulk to prevent water from leaking below.

Old 11-17-17, 07:37 AM
The hole for the switch is probably too large for the top rubber washer to seal.

Remove the switch from below by unscrewing the plastic nut, let it drop down the hose.
Put about a 1/2" bead of plumbers putty under the top flange and around the top of the plastic male threads.
Shove the switch back into the hole, ensuring it's centered in the hole. Tape it down if you don't have a helper and screw back on the bottom nut.
You want to see some putty ooze out to ensure the hole is filled.

Old 11-27-17, 12:10 PM
D
Hi - didn't realize the replies appear *above* my comment so didn't think there were any

@Pilot Dane:

Yeah, there's no seal. There's not even a gasket.

I'll try Handyone's suggestion... Thank you all.