toilet water shut off valve question

Old 01-16-18, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet water shut off valve question

I have stayed in this house for two years, and never touched this shut off valve. This morning, I planned to replace the seal of my Kohler toilet canister. So the first time I shut off this valve. It was a little sticky at the beginning, but when I started to make clockwise turn, there were some water coming out. Not much though. It stopped once the valve is completely off. I tried to turn it off and back on a few times, no more leak.

I am not plumbing savvy. But why did this happen? Should I call a plumber to replace the entire assembly.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-18, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Shutoffs often do that... it's because they seldom get turned. As long as they do not develop a permanent leak it is normal... but if they continue to drip for days afterward, yes you ought to replace the shutoff.

All shutoffs in your house out to get turned at least once a year just as preventative maintenence to keep them loose and free.

Old 01-16-18, 07:24 AM
Thanks XSleeper. I keep it off today since I don't want to worry about it while at work. I will turn it back on tonight to see if the leak is still there.

Old 01-16-18, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
When you open it again, just put a cup, a rag, or a pan under it if it drips a few times. It usually stops dripping after a while.

Old 01-16-18, 07:45 AM
Thanks Xsleeper. But could you help me to understand why this happens?

Old 01-16-18, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
There is a seal in there that dries out. A lot of time just using it will make seal flex. Somrtime there is a packing nut that a slight tightening will fix.