Toilet draining super slow. Septic system.

Old 03-12-18, 05:50 PM
Toilet draining super slow. Septic system.

So we had a really old toilet that was constantly running so we installed a new toilet. The new toilet however is draining so slow. When you flush the water just rises and over the course of hours it slowly goes down. Everything else in the house is draining fine. It is the toilet closest to our septic system. There is a tub and sink in that same bathroom but they are working fun. We have a conventional system. We originally thought a clog but we had a plumber come and put a snake in the toilet and didnít feel a clog. Another plumber auggered our main line outside and felt no resistance. Our septic system was pumped about a year ago. Coincidentally we received a lot of rain during this time so the ground could just be over saturated however it hasnít rained in about a week.. Basically our only other option is a new septic system that costs about 6,000$. Just wondering if anyone has ANY other options for us to try.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 05:35 AM
Check the drain plumbinb vent for that toilet or closest to that toilet. Usually the vent opens on the roof so someone will have to climb up there to put down a weighted string and then possibly a snake.

What happens if you add a little more water to the toilet bowl (using a bucket) during a flush?

Old 03-13-18, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you have a clogged drain line. How did the first plumber snake the line. If he just did an auger in the toilet than the toilet is probably all he checked and did not get into the drain line. I would remove the toilet and snake directly into the drain line.

Old 03-13-18, 11:14 AM
Nothing happens. Water just fills up in the bowl.

I plan on on removing the toilet this time and snaking the line. I donít know where the drain vent is on the roof but I will also try to locate that.

Old 03-13-18, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
I have never seen a clogged vent stop a toilet from draining. It can cause an odd flush or the nearby tub to gurgle but never stop the flow. Since you say everything else is draining OK the clog is probably relatively close to the problem toilet.

Old 03-13-18, 06:55 PM
Took the toilet off, put a 25ft auger in the drain pipe. There is standing water in the pipe. Was able to put the line all the way in, felt some resistance but was able to get it all the way in. Did that twice but thereís still water in the pipe. Put the toilet back on and flushed really slowly at first and now nothing again. Every now and then it will flush slowly again and then it gurgles. At my wits end...

Old 03-14-18, 04:38 AM
The tub and sink drains may or may not join with the toilet drain pipe within 5 feet. Do those drains still work normally?

You could open the septic tank hatch to look inside. The normal resting water level is about 9 inches below the underside of the septic tank lid.

Old 03-14-18, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
If there is water standing in the drain pipe it is clogged. What size auger were you using? If it is one of the cheap, small hand powered ones sold at home centers you will really have to work at it to clear the clog. Look at the size of your tool and you are trying to clear a 3" or 4" diameter pipe. Best would be a heavier duty powered auger with a larger head. With a small one it may push through a mushy clog without actually breaking it up. You have to keep working to remove the clog. If the water in the pipe drains while you are working it means you are making progress. But don't stop once the water goes down. Keep working the clog area until you can no longer feel the clog. You can test by pouring a big bucket of water into the pipe before going to the hassle of re-installing the toilet.