Dishwasher Issue

Old 03-19-18, 11:08 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dishwasher Issue

Over the weekend we experienced a clog on the drain line that handles our dishwasher and kitchen sink. Water from the sink was flooding into the dishwasher and the dishwasher was just overflowing with nasty water. I attempted to plunge the sink drain. I attempted the baking soda/vinega/hot water trick and I even tried an auger I picked up, but couldn't get things unclogged. We live in a high rise apartment building, and this morning the super came up to take a look. He used a big shop vac and a much more heavy duty auger and seemingly solved the problem. No water leaking into the dishwasher, and the sink drained well.

But...

I just tried running the dishwasher to make a dent in the massive pile of dirty dishes that we now have... After the dishwasher was running for 15 minutes or so I passed by the kitchen and smelled a weird burning chemical smell. Opened the dishwasher and discovered there was no water in it. None at all. What could have caused this to start happening and how can I fix it?

Old 03-19-18, 11:52 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
I wonder if it could be a shutoff valve that the super turned off when he was working on the problem. I'd look for a shutoff valve under the sink or dishwasher that may be turned off.

Although I didn't think the dishwasher would would overheat or burn up if the water supply was shut off. Not sure. But I would check for the valve.

Old 03-19-18, 12:00 PM
J
That's definitely something that would make sense, but i looked and don't see any shutoff for the dishwasher - just hot and cold for the sink.

Old 03-19-18, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You need to follow the water line from the dishwasher solenoid to where it connects to the hot water line. It would be highly unlikely to not have a nearby shutoff. It could also be connected on the sink side of those shutoffs which would mean it's not a supply problem.

Open the door. Pour enough water into the tub to see a water level. Try running a cleaning cycle. After you hear it start washing.... open the door and see if there's water. If it's empty.... debris may be blocking the drain valve on the wash pump. I'd need a make and model to see the exact setup.

The drain line for the dishwasher must be run up and fastened under the countertop to act as a trap in the drain line.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 03-19-18, 12:35 PM
J
Thanks, Pete. The machine is a Bosch SHU43C06UC/17. Under the sink, I do see a line coming off the (I believe) cold water line that goes off to the dishwasher (the connection is behind the cabinetry so it's not easy to actually see back there without pulling the dishwasher out. Anyhow there is no shutoff at that point, though there may be one closer to the dishwasher.

I'll try the test that you suggested right now though...

Old 03-19-18, 12:40 PM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
(Never fails. I type so slow by the time I'm done there are more posts - lol. I didn't read Pete's post or you response to that yet).

That is strange alright. I could see how the dishwasher drain might be blocked because of the backup into the dishwasher from the sink, but I don’t see how that would stop the supply of water into the dishwasher. You would think that would actually stop the dishwasher from draining – and so the problem would be water not leaving the dishwasher. It would be full of water.

Maybe one of the pros or more experienced guys will weigh in. Hope so!

(Just thought of something. Maybe debris from the sink backup could be blocking the water supply. I think there are filters (or screens?) on the supply entrance in the dishwasher. If they get blocked maybe that would stop the water supply.)

Old 03-19-18, 01:05 PM
J
That's an idea re: debris blocking the supply. How would I address that? Or is that a job for a plumber? I'm very fearful of removing pipes, etc.!

Also. Poured some water into the bottom of the dishwasher (till I could see a water level). Ran the dishwasher, and checked during the wash cycle. There was some water but not very much. The dishes certainly weren't getting clean.

Old 03-19-18, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
The point of the test was to see if the machine incorrectly drained the water out or it remained. It appears the water remained which indicates a fill problem. I'll need to lookup the manual and return.

Old 03-19-18, 01:30 PM
J
Thank you - I'll check back later on to see if you found anything. I appreciate it!

Old 03-19-18, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Put this PNG image in one tab all by itself. You can click on it to enlarge it.
sears parts direct/png/PLDM/P0503014-00004.png

This is the main parts breakout. You'll want to click on "component assembly".
sears parts direct/model-number/shu43c06uc17/1794/0130000.html

This is a Bosch machine. This may not be an easy repair.They do things a little differently than other companies. There's a good chance that the water fill/float system is full of debris. You will need to pull the machine out to work on it, The parts we're interested are #428, #429 and #430. These are the water control areas. One is a float switch that turns the water supply off it tripped. You will need to pull this assembly apart and clean it.

Old 03-19-18, 07:31 PM
J
Oh man... I'll give it a shot, but it may be time to call the Bosch repair man... Thank you for the info though!

Old 03-19-18, 09:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
I bought a Bosch about a year ago (used) and found it to be surprisingly easy to work on, and I further found the parts to be reasonably priced. It's a very nice, quiet DW.

You should find the model and go to Bosch and get the manual. There are things in the bottom that need to be cleaned from time to time (things that an owner can do). I don't see a relationship between someone clearing a clogged drain and the DW breaking. You don't have to turn off the water to clear a drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: