Are Brass Flush Valves Still Available?

Old 05-05-18, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are Brass Flush Valves Still Available?

All I can find are plastic parts.
My flush valve leaks and I have already replaced the flapper. I would like to replace the valve seat but I cannot find (at Lowes and HD anyway) a brass flush valve or seat.

Any suggestions? Are brass ones still made? This is for a toilet that was new in 1982.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-18, 03:16 AM
Old 05-11-18, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
Your fill valve is different than the flapper so replacing the flapper has nothing to do with the fill valve leaking. I would replace it with a modern, readily available fill valve. Even though they are made from plastic they are pretty good.

Old 05-15-18, 02:37 PM
I don't need a fill valve, I need a flush valve seat. The brass part that the flapper drops over.

Usually after 6-7 years the flapper needs replacing, and that's why I changed it.

All HD has is a brass valve for $12 and $9 shipping, and another one for $30. I'll go to a plumbing shop first, and if I don't have any luck there, then it's HD.

Old 05-15-18, 09:07 PM
You didn't like the one at amazon for $20?

Actually I think it's better to support local plumbing suppliers, even if it's a couple more dollars. They're right there when you need them. And... if you have a brass flush valve with a little divot in it, you might try sanding is smooth before taking the tank off. Or trying the toilet mfg's flapper.

Old 05-16-18, 05:25 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
I don't think brass will solve your problem. You're getting 6-7 years life out of a flapper. That's not bad. The brass will seat will also "corrode" because of the water mineral content. Actually the plastic is better suited to the problem than any metal will be. As Pilot Dane suggested.