Plumbers: what sink would you install in your house?

Old 05-12-18, 03:47 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbers: what sink would you install in your house?

Doing my first kitchen remodel ever. So many decisions. Sink I thought would be easy. Not.

Granite Composites. Look nice, but Crack, stain.
Stainless Steel. Looks great but Scratches and rusts.
Coated Cast Iron. Ex-pensive. Some say, dated look. And I heard the Kohler plant burned down so shipping soon is not going to happen.

What would you do. We do want a single drain model.

Old 05-12-18, 04:18 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
What type of counter tops are you installing? If going with stone/granite then an undermount sink is desired. Is cast iron available in an undermount? or just top mounted. I see the best results with stainless. If they scratch, you can polish some of the scratches out with steel wool. Important to only polish in the direction of the grain of the stainless. Steel wool comes in various grades of from course to fine.

We have a vacation rental in the mountains and after ski season went up to check on things and found our brand new undermount sink scratched. I got it maybe half polished with a brillo pad as that was all I had on hand at the time.

Old 05-12-18, 04:51 PM
G
Thanks. We are doing granite tops undermount sink. Yes, they have undermount cast iron. I like the look of granite composite, but read stories of cracks and stains. I really like the look of stainless, but read rust and scratches.

Old 05-12-18, 05:24 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 168 Posts
My favorite these days is to use quartz countertops and stainless undermount sinks. Granite requires occasional sealing while quartz is completely maintenance free.

I like the mid-cost range stainless sinks. The cheap ones tend to echo with water draining into them. And you can easily spend lots of $$ on higher end ones - that unless you want a special shape/size, you can save some money.

I'm not much of a fan of cast iron sinks myself. I have one in my home, and it does get scratched if you're not careful.

Old 05-12-18, 06:21 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
Stainless Steel. Looks great but Scratches and rusts.
I can't speak for anybody else, but I've never seen a stainless sink rust. I have seen rustable items leave a removable rust stain on a stainless sink but not the sink itself, For me stainless sink cleans easily and is basically maintenance free. And reasonable care will not leave scratches.

However a drain cleaner can etch a stainless steel sink. Use caution.

Old 05-12-18, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Norm. I haven't seen problems with SS sinks. I've got a 15 yo stainless Elkay that looks just fine. But no sink is resistant to a thermo-nuclear warhead. Something can (and eventually will) go wrong with any sink. It might take a very long time though.

Old 05-12-18, 08:43 PM
G
Thanks! I am looking on the internet and I see people dealing with scratching and using metal polish all the time. How frequent do you need to polish out scratches with normal use. Thanks

Old 05-12-18, 11:50 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
Weve never had to do anything to our SS sink but it's a direct result of what you do to it.

Throw in that heavy cast iron skillet, you will likely scratch, use normal stainless pots and pans maybe never.

Old 05-13-18, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
One caveat...the highly polished SS sinks can look pretty bad with just normal use unless a fair amount of caution is used and maintenance done regularly. Of course, they also cost a ton.

A nice satin finish in a heavy gauge is fairly maintenance free and resistant to marks/dings/scratches.

Old 05-13-18, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've never done anything to my sink either. Note that there are various grades of stainless steel. The more chromium the better (I think). I've never researched it, but it would be interesting to ask about the grade of stainless when looking at SS sinks. I bet you'd get a few blank looks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

...and Gunguy makes a good point.

Old 05-13-18, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
We redid our kitchen 5-6 years ago and have never done anything to our SS sink except wipe it out. Don't get a cheap one get one of the heaver gauge.

Old 05-13-18, 01:23 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Certain brands of stainless sinks come with removable (or insertable) stainless wire platform that will protect the bottom of the sink. Usually on the higher end models, but it will solve your worry about staining.

Here is a higher end example of a sink basin protector https://oliverisinks.com/accessories...asin-protector

Old 05-14-18, 07:25 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I prefer stainless myself and that's what I'll put in next. I currently have a granite composite one installed by previous owner, and it's a mess. At about 8 years old now it's blotchy, it stains very badly and cannot be completely cleaned no matter what kind of product you use on it.

I've never seen a stainless sink rust although it will show rust if you have iron in the water or leave iron laying on it. Minor scratches won't show if you get one with a light brushed texture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: