tub spout meets the wall but the outlet is facing up, what should I do?

Old 05-26-18, 08:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tub spout meets the wall but the outlet is facing up, what should I do?

Hi
I have purchased a new spout that looks the same as my old one. Its really easy to install at first. Just unscrew the old one and screw back in the new one. But I am facing an issue that is the spout meets the wall but the outlet is facing up. If unscrewing the spout a bit so the outlet is facing down, a gap is created and the latch used to divert the water does not work. Any idea?
Thanks

Old 05-26-18, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 984 Votes on 896 Posts
Unscrew the spout then tighten the nipple 1/2 turn. Then try it again.

Old 05-27-18, 04:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 960 Votes on 882 Posts
Usually you can just keep turning the spout another half turn until it's positioned the proper way.

Old 05-27-18, 05:30 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Stick the handle of a channel lock wrench in the spout and turn for leverage to get your last 1/2 turn.

Old 06-24-18, 05:20 AM
A
Received 137 Votes on 126 Posts
I would not forcibly crank the spout unit that last half turn for fear of cracking the tile on the wall.

I don't understand why having the spout not quite touching the wall would prevent the diverter latch from working other than possibly there was not enough Teflon tape or other sealer causing a leak that upset the water flow dynamics (and also created a leak inside the spout that would send water back into the wall).

I would suggest cutting a 3/8 inch square notch at the back underside of the spout where it touches the wall just in case a leak should develop inside later. Then water would drip down the wall outside instead of going back, unseen, into the wall.

Put caulk around the spout where it meets the wall. Do this even if the spout rim did touch the wall. Don't cover up the aforementioned notch.

Old 06-25-18, 11:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I endedup buying a different one from Amazon, and it fits perfectly. The two meet each other perfectly when its tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: