Broken outdoor spigot?

Old 06-18-18, 10:20 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken outdoor spigot?

Hi all!

The handle on the spigot from my rain barrel has broken off. The company has sent me a new spigot entirely but in order to install it, I have to empty the barrel, crawl inside and install from the inside! Does anyone have any suggestions on a quick fix that i can do to use the broken off handle or a way to just replace the handle itself?

Attached Images    
Old 06-18-18, 12:31 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
My guess is that you could remove the remaining piece of the old handle by removing the phillips screw and just slip the new handle over the existing valve stem. Alternatively you could remove the valve bonnet from the broken valve (by using a wrench on the nut below the handle) and replace the bonnet, valve stem and internals into the old valve body - all without having to crawl into the barrel.

Old 06-18-18, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
If there is a nut inside the barrel, duct tape a crescent wrench handle to a long pipe or board and have a helper keep it vertical while you loosen the outside. That will drain the barrel once you get it off.

Old 06-19-18, 05:44 PM
R
Thanks all! I'm going to try taking the screw off and seeing if I can switch the handle out!

Old 06-20-18, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
It appears that you are able to replace the valve without "climbing in the barrel".

The valve has male pipe threads that would thread into the tank's bulkhead fitting.
Use slip joint water pump pliers to hold the bulkhead fitting right next to the tank wall and unscrew the valve.
Use a pipe thread sealer and don't over-tighten the new valve.

Old 06-20-18, 03:53 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I wonder "why" they sent you a brass valve as a replacement instead of one like that which the barrel was originally equipped with ?

You're probably not the 1st Customer to complain.

I'd just replace the broken plastic handle with the brass handle from the replacement . . . . all you need is a Phillips Screwdriver.

Old 06-20-18, 04:35 AM
R
Vermont...thanks! I tried that, but the new one is round on the inside and the old one is square! I'll see if I can just buy one that fits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: