Troublesome Toilet

Old 07-24-18, 09:20 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troublesome Toilet

I have a modern American Standard toilet that is on the same vent that two other toilets are on. It worked fine for some time then a couple years ago it started giving me trouble. Sometimes it flushes just fine. Most of the time however it doesn't complete a flush. TP in the bowl will partially be flushed, but some is left in the bowl. Sometime it finishes the flush but it is weak as the last water exits the bowl. Any idea what the problem could be? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-18, 11:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Usually it's a clog. Very, very rarely do I ever find a vent problem.

Old 07-24-18, 01:08 PM
R
I often use a plunger on it. Wouldn't that fix the clog? Or should I get a snake from HD?

Old 07-24-18, 01:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
A snake could help. But, at this point it sounds like you don't know if the clog is near or far so it's hard to say which snake you should get.

First, get a bucket with a couple gallons of water. Quickly pour the water into the center of the toilet bowl. Do you get a good strong flush? Try it several times. If you get a good flush each time then there could be a problem in the toilet.

Old 07-25-18, 08:30 AM
R
So I emptied a bucket into the toilet a few times and it worked fine. Then I tried flushing the toilet a few times and it worked fine. I then came back an hour later and flushed it and it again had a really weak flush. I again put a bucket of water in the toilet and it flushed fine.

Last edited by rvs053063; 07-25-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 10:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Before buying or renting a drain snake or auger I would look at the toilet. In order to flush a toilet needs a quick surge of water. If the water goes into the toilet too slow you get a weak flush or no real flush at all.

Flush the toilet and look at how the water enters the bowl. Look for any holes under the rim that may be blocked. Also lift up your flapper valve and see if anything has gotten down into the internals and is blocking the water flow. I would also check the water level in the tank and see if it is to the recommended level.

It sounds like your toilet is not clogged. If there is a clog then it would be in the house's drain piping and will require pulling the toilet to snake/auger out the line.

Old 07-25-18, 11:14 AM
R
If there were a physical clog then the toilet would perform the same way every time, right? I just flushed it and it worked fine. The time before that it was a weak flush. I checked the holes and water seems to be coming out all around the bowl. The only material that has ever seen the inside of the toilet is water, since we don't have kids that could have possibly put a toy in there or something. And if there was a clog in the house line wouldn't the other toilet on the other side of the wall be effected? It's an old style toilet and flushes fine. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 07-25-18, 11:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
It's a tough nut to crack when it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Is this a new problem with that toilet or has it always been that way? I have had a couple instances where I never could find a clog or problem but replacing the toilet with a modern good flushing one took care of the problem.

Old 07-25-18, 11:35 AM
R
We've had it several years, however it worked fine initially. I called American Standard and they suggested a venting problem however the other toilets on that same stack work fine so I was skeptical.

Old 07-25-18, 02:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Borescope inspection cameras have really come down in price. You could get a long one for well less than $100 and send it down your vent to see what's going on. If you pull your toilet you could also send it down the drain line and look for a clog.

Old 07-26-18, 04:16 AM
S
Water level in the toilet tank was mentioned. I had a problem once where the fill valve didn't always fill to the same level in the tank. Replacing fill valve was the answer. Good luck- Steve

Old 07-26-18, 05:17 AM
R
Thanks, however it fills all the way to the top of the overflow. Can't fill any higher.

Old 07-29-18, 02:04 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, Sounds like a calcium build up. I most times use muratic acid to clear the calcium but some folks are wary about using the acid. You can use a pocket screwdriver and clear the holes under the rim and the hole on the bottom of the toilet.
Good Luck Woodbutcher