Help - Water coming out from dishwasher drain hose pipe.

Old 08-20-18, 09:08 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help - Water coming out from dishwasher drain hose pipe.

I'm not exactly sure what this part is called, but I have water coming out from the pvc pipe where the dishwasher drain hose goes into if I run the water in the sink for too long.

I have a dual sink: right sink has the garbage disposal, left sink just a regular drain. Yesterday the water was backing up in the left sink when I would run the garbage disposal in the right sink. Clearly there was too much crap that collected in the left sink, thus the back up. I have fixed this problem before by using one of those mini sink plungers. I did the same thing this time and it was fine - I ran the water for a while in the right sink while running the garbage disposal and no back up. Later in the day though my wife was washing the dishes and had the water running in the sink and all of a sudden all this water started coming out from the pipe under the sink that the dishwasher drain hose goes into.

I tested it out and I can run the water from the sink for a while (either sink) until the water starts to back up.

Could the problem be that there is still some debris/small blockage that when the water from the sink is running on high and for a while it creates a backup?

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

Name:  pipe_pic_2.jpg
Views: 6080
Size:  39.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-20-18 at 09:11 PM. Reason: enlarged picture
Old 08-20-18, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your problem is not with any of the visible plumbing. Your problem is that the drain line is backed up inside the wall. More than likely just below the bottom line into the wall. It looks like the bottom trap may be able to be disconnected from the wall and then you could snake down from there.

Old 08-21-18, 05:58 AM
B
Thanks.

I'm new to this so apologies in advance for elementary questions.

1) When you say drain line, you're talking about the PVC pipe into which the grey corrugated dishwasher drain-hose goes into, and the same PVC pipe that goes straight into the wall and then outside?
2) To confirm, the blockage is in part of the pipe that's in the wall, and not in the trap?
3) If I remove the trap, should I expect water to come out from the trap section?
4) I should probably not run the dishwasher until this is fixed? I did a test run yesterday (put it on cancel/drain), and the water from dishwasher drained without issues. But don't know what might happen if I let it run for a full cycle.
5) Is the reason it's blocked because too much waste went into the left sink that doesn't have the garbage disposal?

Thanks.

Old 08-21-18, 06:33 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I agree with PJ that you may have a clog further down the drain line. But I also suspect your drain lines may not be able to handle multiple flow from sink, DW, disposal and washing machine at the same time. Try to make it a point to perhaps run the DW only at night when all other water use is at a minimum.

Old 08-21-18, 06:41 AM
B
Thanks Norm.

This hasn't been an issue in the past where I run the water in the sink for a long time and running the dishwasher at the same time, so probably a clog. Question is, in which of the two pipes that go into the wall is the drain pipe and which one needs to be cleaned out.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-18, 06:44 AM
They both will merge into one pipe. Snake them both and be absolutely sure. BTW...I'm a firm believer in snaking a clog and not use any chemicals.

Old 08-21-18, 06:51 AM
B
Thanks Norm. No chemicals here. I'm all for manual intervention when it comes to cleaning out pipes.

Last question (hopefully), do I just remove the sections of plumbing that are connected directly to the pipes that go into the wall, and stick the snake in there? And there wouldn't be any blockage in the pea traps?

Old 08-21-18, 08:39 AM
Yes, remove the traps (have a bucket under and let the water dump into it. If the trap is where the clog is, you'll see it immediately and it will be easy to clean out). Then, yes, snake directly into the pipe going into the wall or floor. It may take several attempts to get the snake all the way through the clog when it meets it.

Old 08-21-18, 09:42 AM
B
Thanks Norm.

Can I just insert the snake into the drain in the sink without the garbage disposal, and insert the snake into the pipe where the the drain-hose goes into? Or is it necessary to remove the pea traps?

Old 08-21-18, 10:57 AM
You can try, but I find removing the P traps makes for a much easier job.

Old 08-21-18, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
You need to be able to snake as close as possible to the wall. The snake cannot go around all kinds of bends that close. As I've already mentioned..... see if you are able to unscrew the trap from the lower drain line. Ideally, you need to put your snake in at the wall and snake downwards.

Old 08-21-18, 03:31 PM
B
Did just that. Removed the pea trap and used a snake, but I couldn't push in the snake too far, maybe 4 feet Whatever I could insert did not solve the problem - water still leaks when sink running for a while (this was not a problem before). Do I keep trying with the snake, or admit defeat and call a plumber?

Old 08-21-18, 03:34 PM
You have a clog. Repeated use of the snake should eventually work. Are you using the snake in the correct manner? Feed about 12" then twist it, another 12" then twist it, so on and so on.

Old 08-21-18, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
We can see your two drain lines connecting the vertical stack in the wall. This stack should go down to the basement. If you have basement.... check out the drain lines under that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: