Leaky bathroom faucet

Old 09-19-18, 06:10 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky bathroom faucet

My shower/tub faucet is leaking quite a bit. I have replaced the spout since the diverter was not operating and I thought this would fix the issue, but it didn’t. I hear water sound coming from the valve trim and when I push the handle further to the left (shut off mode) the sound stops, which leads me to believe that the valve trim is the issue. However, the handle is not loose.

Can someone tell me if replacing the valve trim will fix the leaking or if I have a pipe issue?

Thank you!

Old 09-19-18, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
What is "valve trim"? Are you referring to the cosmetic escutcheon plate on the front of the faucet?

Can you post a picture of your faucet and describe where you are having the problem? Here are instructions for posting pictures.

Old 09-19-18, 08:53 AM
G
Valve trim picture

Pilot Dane,

I hear the water behind the plate and when I turn the handle more to the left, the sound and dripping stops. When I let go of the handle, the sound and leaking starts again.

Thank you.

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-18, 09:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
I would go underneath in either the basement or crawlspace and look for water. You can also remove the knob and escutcheon plate and look inside the wall cavity for a leak.

Old 09-19-18, 10:29 AM
G
No basement or crawl space. So you don’t think that the issue is with the handle, but with the pipe? Want to make sure I understand.

Old 09-19-18, 10:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you hear water in the wall it's possibly a leak. A leaking faucet does not shut off completely and the tub spout will drip. Hearing water behind "the plate" is possibly a leaking pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: