Milwaukee / Danco Tub Faucet Stem Replacement

Old 09-28-18, 06:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Milwaukee / Danco Tub Faucet Stem Replacement

Hi all -

I need to replace a tub faucet stem. I'm pretty convinced that the stem I need is 4S-6H/C, which can be seen here:

I removed the grey stem from the pipe coming out of the wall, but I see that there is a red disc shape still in there with two holes in it, and I assume it is the red object shown in the link above. How do I get it out? It appears to be a simple insert, but I tried grabbing it with pliers and it doesn't move with the medium force I used. I'm hesitant to use much force for fear of breaking something. Any idea if it is threaded, or held in somehow? I attached a pic of the red piece inside the pipe.

Secondly, can someone tell me what the white object is in the link picture of the product? Is it different from the similar red one?

Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-18, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
Those are the valves seats and I believe are two different lengths and red is the hot water one.. They can be a pain to remove. I would try the new stem, springs and seals and leave that in there.

Old 09-28-18, 06:54 PM
D
Iím afraid I already nicked up the holes with the needle nose pliers after the picture was taken.

Still, if I carefully twist a bit and pull, it should come out, yes?

Old 09-28-18, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
Yes..... it will come out. I use a small hook tool to pull them out.

Old 09-28-18, 07:36 PM
D
Thanks much, PJMax. Iíll give it a try tomorrow.

Old 09-29-18, 12:26 PM
D
Well, I did everything I could to get it out, and it wouldnít budge. I was able to turn it 180į, but my Hook, made of thick wire, and pliers, only managed to break out the two holes so that now the seat is basically a thick red plastic donut.

I considered putting a torch or heat gun in the hole to make the plastic pliable and more easily removable. Any harm doing that? Are there any other plastic pieces in the pipe that I could accidentally melt?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: