trickle of water in toilet bowl

Old 10-18-18, 09:27 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trickle of water in toilet bowl

After the toilet flushes and the water shuts off, i have very small trickle of water running in the bowl. This eventually slows down to a drip. I replaced just the flapper valve.....no help. I've replaced the standpipe and flapper valve together and still have a trickle.
Could it be the toilet is not level and the water is flowing out of the rim of the bowl slower than normal? (So the front of the bowl might be high?)
The toilet was made in 2008.
Thanks for any help!

Old 10-18-18, 10:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Nope, still probably a flapper valve problem. They can sometimes be maddening. I've had some I've tried every flapper, replaced the standpipe... and still had the same leak. I would try some different brand and styles of flapper until you find one that seals properly. Also, when you install a flapper give it a day to see if it will seal. Sometimes they leak a bit at first but the weight of the water over time forces the flapper to conform and it seals.

Old 10-18-18, 12:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Sometimes it's not the flapper valve but the surface against which it's trying to seal - if that's a little rough from mineral buildup or something, the flapper can't make a seal.

Old 10-18-18, 01:07 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
How about spreading a thin coat of silicone grease around the mating surface?

Old 10-19-18, 01:29 PM
R
RE: trickle of water in toilet bowl

well, i'm on my 3rd type of gasket. It still has a trickle of water into the bowl. I did find that it is leaking around the seal under the flapper valve seat. I'm letting this one sit over night to see if the gasket will smash into the hole and seat better.
This is the gasket i have installed now: https://www.menards.com/main/mcom/pl...5700042005.htm

Any other ideas out there?

Old 10-19-18, 01:46 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
How about spreading a thin coat of silicone grease around the mating surface?

Old 10-19-18, 06:09 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
Did you check for siphoning via the refill hose into the overflow tube? There ought to be a clip keeping the end of the hose above the top of the tube, else siphoning can occur. Don’t ask me how I know.

Old 10-19-18, 07:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Excellent point about the siphoning action if the fill tube to the overflow stack is not secured via a clip and instead is just stuck down the overflow.

Also, check the level of water in the tank, it should be about 5/8" below the overflow stack.

Put a weight on the flapper and see if that stops the trickle, if is does, than try another brand of flapper.

Old 10-20-18, 04:40 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
leak

I had one that leaked with a new flapper and solved it by cleaning the surface that the flapper seals against with a scotch brite pad. The other ideas mentioned are worth a look too, sometimes it can be tough to figure out. Steve

Old 10-20-18, 04:55 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I agree with czizzi, check to make sure the water level isn't too high . . . . resulting in a continuous overflow into the stack pipe.

Old 10-20-18, 06:45 AM
R
Thanks for all the suggestions!
The water level is below the stand pipe.
The tube attaches to a nipple on top of the stand pipe. it doesn't extend into the pipe.
as mentioned earlier, i installed a new stand pipe and flapper valve.
The leak is occurring under the flapper to tank gasket. I just need to find the correct gasket the works or get some silicone grease to apply to the gasket.

Old 10-20-18, 06:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you press down on the flapper, does the leak stop?

Old 10-22-18, 07:35 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Also, I am not sure how you determined that the leak is definitely coming through the flapper but if you have a water shut off to the toilet you could turn that off and determine that you still have your leak.

I have had sediment get into one of those fill valves that created a small leak. Not too difficult to clean out if that is the case but the easiest test is to just turn off the water to the toilet and see if she still leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: