Can't figure out how to re-install shower handle

Old 10-27-18, 02:53 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Can't figure out how to re-install shower handle

The handle on one of my showers came off in my hand, and I can't figure out how to re-attach it.

I have attached photos of the handle, the the valve, and the parts which need to be re-installed, showing the inside of the handle. In particular, there's a circular metal thing with a prong which I cannot understand the usage of. I can't figure out where the prong goes. When I try to put it together in various ways, the handle just falls off again.

Appreciate any help.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-18, 03:36 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Look for a set screw somewhere on the handle. The brass ring is a stopper that prevents you from over turning the handle. But if you can get it back together, there should be an allen screw that needs to be tightened to keep the handle on.

Old 10-27-18, 04:01 PM
There is neither a screw nor a hole indicating a missing screw.

The handle looks like it should just press on, but it does not press on far enough to stay attached.

Old 10-27-18, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There is neither a screw nor a hole indicating a missing screw.

Look for a plug that covers the hole and hides the screw.

Old 10-27-18, 04:21 PM
Look at the center point on exterior of the handle and see if there is a cover that pops off to reveal a set screw. From the back side of your handle looks like there is a center screw that may have a factor in holding the handle on.

Do you have a brand name of the diverter itself?

Old 10-27-18, 05:14 PM
Progress! There is indeed a screw under the center cap of the handle. That cap actually screws on and off itself.

The screw was pretty loose. But even fully tightened, it's not long enough to screw into any part of the valve. All it does is hold in the white sprocket thingy.

There is no indication anywhere I can see what the brand of this valve is. It was installed by previous homeowners.

Here are 2 more photos. First one shows the exposed screw head. Second one shows how far the screw protrudes on the inside when fully tightened. I still have no clue how to get the handle to stay on the valve.

Name:  Screw.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  ScrewedIn.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  43.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-27-18 at 09:22 PM. Reason: labeled picture
Old 10-27-18, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
In looking at the second picture...... it looks there is already a Philips head screw in place where the handle screw should go.

Name:  Innards.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  17.6 KB

Old 10-27-18, 05:43 PM
Good eye. Yes, there's a Philips head screw deep down inside the center of the part you highlighted. But no way the little screw in the handle could reach in there. What are you thinking about that screw, PJ?

Old 10-27-18, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
The screw in the center of the handle needs to go somewhere. If that screw was already in the cartridge...... then some intermediate thing (coupler) is missing.

I went thru two catalogs of replacement cartridges (100's) and could not find that one based on the end of yours. If no one stops by and recognizes it.... you'll need to pull the cartridge out to identify it and faucet brand.

Old 10-27-18, 07:21 PM
I found the brand name "Rohl" on the showerhead. (This is a shower I never use, so hadn't noticed before.) Which led me to the website http://www.rohlhome.com. They have many, many shower valves which look nearly identical. Not the easiest site to navigate, you have to keep loading and loading more items. Perhaps the closest in external appearance is this one, but the specs attached to it don't look like what I've got.

It's hard to imagine what part might be missing. The handle came off in my hand and I doubt any part fell through the grate into the shower drain.

Old 10-27-18, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
I've never heard of that Italian built plumbing fixture company.
Yes.... that website is way too busy. Too many pop ups and drop down menus.

I spent a half hour wading thru and didn't see your exact cartridge so I searched for Rohl cartridges and found what you need. You aren't missing anything..... one half is still on the valve and the top half where the screw goes in from the handle is stuck in the handle. Take the handle screw out and that white piece should fall out. I marked that piece with a red arrow in your picture.
Rohl part needed

Maybe you could superglue that back on to the valve part.

Old 10-27-18, 10:11 PM
Brilliant detective work, Mr. Holmes!

So itís just a broken plastic part. The 2 halves of the part separated so cleanly, I didnít suspect it was 1 part.

Iíve never had luck with superglue on plastic, so I think Iíll just spend the $23 on a replacement.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-18, 10:28 PM
Kind of my suspicions OP, glad you found the solution.

Old 10-29-18, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would caution like the many reviews I saw on Amazon, that this was a poorly designed handle attachment that is prone to cracking and falling off. I had not heard of this brand shower valve either, but there were a number of people happy to find this part. Good luck and nice work PJmax