Filing down base of dishwasher to fit cabinet -- bad idea?

Old 11-06-18, 06:37 PM
Filing down base of dishwasher to fit cabinet -- bad idea?

We recently bought a new dishwasher, only to find that it's probably less than a millimeter too tall for the cabinet. It goes back into the space until it hits a little metal plate at the top of the front. So currently it's poking out a couple inches into the kitchen. (Even taking out the little feet below hasn't helped).

My only other idea is to file/sand down the very base of the dishwasher. It's a hard plastic that I assume could be sanded, with a little room to spare before we would get to anything functional.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Is this a terrible idea?

(I obviously should have measured more precisely before buying, but everyone says that dishwasher sizes are pretty standardized; I didn't expect that Bosch would decide to add a sixteenth of an inch or whatever to its models' height).

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-18, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Might help to take the countertop loose just to get it in.

Old 11-06-18, 08:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you turned down the leveling feet all the way, or in fact removed them to give you the added clearance? Only time dishwasher height is an issue is when additional thickness of flooring is added such as tile installation that the height is a critical issue. Look again at what you have, there should be adjustable feet that can be played within the front and back of the unit.

Old 11-07-18, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
Before filing down the front metal flange look at the mounting clips. There should be two metal clips you insert into slots at the top and allow you to screw the dishwasher to the bottom of the counter. When filing you don't want to mess up the slots. Without them you can't attach the dishwasher and it will tip over when you pull out a drawer full of dishes.

Old 11-07-18, 09:05 AM
Did you put on new flooring? As Czizzi says that is the most likely problem.

Old 11-07-18, 05:47 PM
Hi all,

thanks for your replies. To answer some questions:

-- yeah, we tried removing the little feet on the bottom (as well as originally just putting them all the way in) -- and that still didn't give us enough space.

-- the floor is just the same hardwood as the rest of the space -- no change there.

-- I think we would file off the plastic bottom of the dishwasher, not the little metal clips on top (those are part of what is catching the cabinet, but yeah I agree that could be dicey as well as maybe tough to do)

-- lifting the counter is intriguing, but probably tougher than actually just getting a smaller dishwasher -- the counter is a wraparound piece of granite that goes around the sink, has a granite backsplash, etc. Lifting it would definitely be beyond our home improvement skills and probably would cost a lot from a pro.

Old 11-07-18, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Position the back leveling feet up as far as they can go to lower the back of the unit. Slide the unit into place until you reach the point where you are 1mm short. At that point, try to pivot the dishwasher so the back portion is raised up which will cause the front portion to dip forward and down slightly. That along with removal of the front levelers. Sometimes it us just an angles game. Thinking to put the door down, apply pressure so the back of the unit raises, change the angle so the bottom front can get beyond the hardwood and then settle it back into place which will lower the top obstruction.

Old 11-08-18, 04:28 AM
Is it possible to remove the flooring in the dishwasher cavity? Normally I would want the flooring to the same as the area you see and walk on, but often new flooring is laid up to the DW cavity just so loss of room is eliminated.

Old 11-08-18, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
You could mark or guess where the dishwasher feet or frame meet the floor. Then use a router to route out about 1/4" so the dishwasher can drop down.

Old 11-12-18, 04:11 PM
Update: we tried using the belt sander, and it seems to be a success -- after the first pass, the base was a little uneven/wobbly, but we took a second pass and evened it out a little and it fits snugly underneath the counter. Now we just have to get a new power cord and attach all the tubes in back...