Alternative For Plumber's Putty

Old 12-01-18, 07:41 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Alternative For Plumber's Putty

I am installing a new bathroom sink. The bottom of the sink where the drain is attached does not have a mating surface for the top flange of the tailpiece. Rather the drain opening is somewhat conical and the flange lodges in place where the diameter matches. Plumber's putty would cave in into the remaining space under the flange and between the tailpiece and the drain opening. (The overflow channel drains into that space also, and then drains into an opening on the side of the tailpiece.)

Would anyone know of an alternative sealing material that would remain at the perimeter of the tailpiece flange to seal the flange to the sink? Or is plumber's putty really unnecessary here?

Old 12-01-18, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I've always used plumbers putty there except if it's cultured marble or the like in which case silicone is used.

Old 12-01-18, 07:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Usually these things come with instructions specifying what, if any, material should be used. If you don't want to use plumber's putty, my next choice is usually caulk but know in advance that's going make removal a lot harder down the road, if necessary.

Old 12-03-18, 04:10 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Thanks. I now think that silicone caulk will work well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: