kitchen sink backing up; garbage disposal leaking water

Old 12-16-18, 02:26 PM
kitchen sink backing up; garbage disposal leaking water

Hello again guys. Water is backing up in my kitchen sink when I run the water continuously. Also, when I run the water continuously, water is leaking out of the garbage disposal. The garbage disposal still works and everything. These problems weren't happening before, and I don't know what might have caused them. I rent; I did not install these fixtures. I would like to be able to fix these problems on my own. My landlord lives outside the United States; it's not always easy to get him to hire a professional to fix the problem. Please see this video of the problem, and thanks a ton!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAyDbR7-DSQ

Name:  clog.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  72.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-16-18 at 02:47 PM. Reason: pic added from video
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-18, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Your disposer leak looks to be up high and running down the unit.
You will need to remove the trap. Then remove the piece where the red arrow is pointing.
Your problem is most likely going to be in the wall just on the other side of the arrow.

Old 12-16-18, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Problem #1: It looks like your disposal to sink connection is leaking. Water should never run down the outside of the disposal.

Problem #2: Your drain is clogged. If you are lucky it's just in the trap which can be removed and cleaned out with a plastic wire zip tie, coat hanger or anything long, thin and flexible you can find. As PJmax mentioned it also can be the drain pipe in the wall or beyond. The drain line might need to be snaked to remove the clog. If you have a habit of putting grease or oil down the drain the clog could be difficult to clear.

Old 12-16-18, 03:47 PM
Agree with the others. Remove the trap and the elbow going into the wall. Even if it's just the trap, snake out the section behind the wall. I suggest a 15 to 25 foot snake.

Old 12-16-18, 08:01 PM
Thanks. Sounds like it's a lot for a newbie like me. Could you guys link to a Youtube video that explains the procedure step by step? Thanks again!

Old 12-17-18, 05:08 AM
Not hard. Those slip nuts should be able to be loosened by hand. However sometimes they may required a pipe wrench or water pump pliers. Make sure you have a bucket underneath the trap. Clean and re-attach. When assembling the trap the trick is to keep everything aligned. You only need to hand tighten the slip nuts.

Now run the water and the disposal. It should be fine. However if you still have water running down the disposal you need to take it out and re-attach it properly.

Old 12-17-18, 05:09 AM
I don't have to use sealant or anything? Also, what kind of a snake do you recommend.

Last edited by TonySexton; 12-17-18 at 05:19 AM. Reason: ask another Q
Old 12-17-18, 05:32 AM
No sealant needed. Those type of fittings have integral seals. Hand tighten only!

Old 12-17-18, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Most home centers, plumbing supply stores and online sell plumbing snakes. I would get a small 1/4" hand crank model. Here is one on Amazon but they are available everywhere.

No sealant is needed for the drain pipe connections. They use compression fittings that seal when you tighten them.

The garbage disposal leak is going to be more trouble. I'm guessing it's leaking where it mounts to the sink. You can try tightening the mounting bolts a bit but it might need to be taken down and inspect the seal. It will be difficult because it's heavy but it's technically pretty simple.

Old 12-17-18, 05:58 AM
I highly recommend the snake that PD suggested. They are easy to use and easy to clean. I'm thinking once the clog is cleared, the disposal may be OK.

Old 12-20-18, 07:12 PM
OK. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Old 12-20-18, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TonySexton View Post
OK. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.
The disposal is cracked or the bearings are shot and leaking... Im a plumber 30 plus years.. replace the disposal...

Old 12-20-18, 07:57 PM
By the way, do you have to turn off the water values and unplug the garbage disposal when you do this?

Old 12-20-18, 08:21 PM
Water valves can stay on, but turn the power off to the disposer (turn off breaker in electrical panel)

Old 12-20-18, 09:23 PM
OK. I'll turn off breaker. Also, regarding Iawrosa's remark, first things first. I have to snake this drain pipe some and see what effect, if any, that has.

Old 12-21-18, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Look at your disposal. Where is the water leaking from? If it's coming from the very top where it mounts to the sink then it's likely loose or maybe needs the gasket replaced.

Old 12-22-18, 12:49 PM
Is this the proper way to use a canister-style auger? What concerns me is that he said you have to rotate it in the same direction, clockwise, to remove it from the drain. The demonstration starts at 3:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkHKd9RMUU

Old 12-22-18, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
I always turn in the clockwise (I think) direction. If you turn the other way you are trying to unwind the long spring and it looses some of it's strength.

===
Never turn so hard that you knot or kink the snake.

Old 12-22-18, 04:07 PM
Took apart the pipes as instructed. Eggshells and some fatty substance (I don't pour oil down the drain) in the garbage disposal drain all the way to the end of the P-trap. Cleaned all that out, including the little wormy things that were collected near a pipe connection.

Figured I didn't need the snake, but ran it back behind the wall for several feet. Clean as a whistle.

Here's proof that this website really teaches people to be do-it-yourselfers. Thank you all!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bnk...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-22-18, 04:12 PM
OK. Looks good. But let's check on that disposal. Fill the sink with water, almost full, then let it drain. See if the disposal leaks.

Old 12-22-18, 04:43 PM
Yes! There is a leak in the disposal. I couldn't pinpoint the exact location because the water in the sink drained so fast. There seems to be a breach in the highlighted part of the disposal, though I cannot say that it is not leaking from other parts.

Is there a solution for newbies like myself?

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-18, 06:01 PM
The picture isn't clear enough to see that section of the disposal. Is it a seal or separation on the unit or is a crack? The easy solution is to replace the unit. I think Lawrosa was correct on his post. But if the leak is coming from the upper section, then I'm betting as PD said, that it's not seated correctly or needs a new gasket. Uninstall and re-install. If you don't have the installation guide, you can download it from MFG website

Old 12-22-18, 06:36 PM
Sorry Norm. Please allow me to upload a better photo. The circled part seems to be where the water is coming from.

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-18, 08:17 PM
It's toasts. Buy a new one.

You did good with the clog.

Old 12-23-18, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Before tossing it make doubly certain that the water is coming from the seam area and not running down the side and merely collecting at the seam.

Old 12-23-18, 05:00 AM
Yea, I would bet the chance of a leak at the connection to the sink a much greater chance than at that joint, that vertical stain is a good indication!

Old 12-23-18, 08:42 AM
I have a better idea. Remove the disposal all together. When I remolded our kitchen my wife wanted a disposal. It's probably the least used appliance in the whole house. (And to make matters worse, she wanted in the left side of the double sided sink that the drain is not a straight line to the drain in the wall. And that is the side she uses to fill with pots and pans and other dishes!) It takes up valuable under sink storage space, and is in the way when and if I need to unclog the sink. There is nothing that can be put into the disposal that can;t be put into the garbage. About the only thing it can do is put unwanted stuff into the house hold drain lines.

Old 12-24-18, 06:56 AM
Okay. I understand that the garbage disposal may be unnecessary. We didn't have one growing up. But I'm still curious as to whether I can fix the leak.

Old 12-24-18, 07:09 AM
Check out these two images of the garbage disposal. I don't see a way of tightening it. The bolts circled in yellow go into the the gray plate. They don't seem to extend beyond it. Therefore, it's not even clear to me how the tightening the bolts could make the disposal be more flush with the bottom of the sink:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8A7dcXvkwWBzGCJQ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gubn2XvetXNFc8Fi8

Old 12-24-18, 08:16 AM
This video is pretty good. If its leaking from there you may need a new gasket and plumbers putty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCeC9_bHkRM