Sewer smell from toilet

Old 12-27-18, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewer smell from toilet

About a year ago now, we had a role floor installed in the bathroom. Since that time we keep getting a sewer and from the toilet, I'm about to call a plumber as I have no idea as to what the cause is.

The flange is flush with the floor, I have tried jumbo wax rings, had switched to a rubber type that stopped the smell for a while, but then it came back. Removed the toilet, checked the condition of everything and installed a new rubber ring. The smell went away for about 2 weeks, but is back again.

The only thing I can think of is that when looking at the flange, there appears to be a small gap between the pipe and the flange. I'm wondering if the smell is working it's way through the crack and then out through the toilet bolts.

Hopefully the link works to display what I am talking about. As you can see, the gap widens as you follow the flange round. Is that the likely root of the smell? If so, is that something I can fix or will I need a plumber? I was not sure if I could run silicone around to fill that gap, or if there's more to it than that.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. My wife has been more than patient with me trying to fix this. The most frustrating thing has been how it stops smelling for weeks at a time, then comes back.

Thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sU1eTsAcM9zY3cJG9
Name:  flange.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  397.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-27-18 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-18, 02:52 PM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
Is the flange tight in the drain pipe? In other words can the drain pipe be moved within the flange. It's possible the glue bond between the flange and pipe has been ruptured or broken. Are you getting and kind of leakage?

Old 12-28-18, 03:41 PM
As far as I can tell it's not moving, I'd have to remove the toilet again to try moving anything. Both the flange and pipe seemed secure, what's weird is it had not made a smell for almost 2 weeks, then yesterday afternoon the smell was as bad as it's been. Within a couple hours, the smells dissipated and has not come back again so far today. It's really strange.

Old 12-28-18, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
Smell coming and going can often happen depending on the weather. A weather front or wind from a certain direction can blow sewer gas through any cracks or openings. The wind changes direction and no more smell for weeks or until that same wind/weather happens again.

Old 12-28-18, 04:24 PM
When you have the smell - how much water is in the bowl?

Old 12-28-18, 04:29 PM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
Good point tribe_fan and PD. On a windy day I can actually see my toilet bowl water rising and falling. So any small crack or broken seal can let sewer smell get by.

One other thing you might check. Are you vent pipes clear?

Old 12-28-18, 04:55 PM
I would need to wait for the smell to come back again, but I believe the water level is at its usual, normal level. I don't ever recall seeing it low, nor seeing it move with the wind blowing.

What's the best way to check the vent pipes? As far as I know they are clear, no other bathroom in the house gets the smell if that's anything to go by.

Old 01-02-19, 10:22 AM
So, the smell is back. Winds are blowing NNW / NW currently, fairly light winds though. I checked the water level in the toilet and it is good, I don't see it moving with the wind either, but again it is a fairly light wind.

However, I did notice when out on the back porch that the smell is also out there. So, I am wondering if the smell should be coming out the vent pipe (correctly?) but the wind is blowing the smell back down the pipe and back out around the base of the toilet. Ultimately causing the bathroom to stink.

The toilet that smells is likely the closest to the vent pipe exit, so it would make sense for it to escape there. I would bet if the wind were stronger, the smell would be more powerful. So, how do I prevent it? Someone suggested a wax ring with a horn, but I'm betting that unless the horn piece somehow seals against the pipe, that it will make no difference as the smell will still work its way past even a small gap.

I have called 2 plumbers, who both said that it is the wax ring, one coming likely tomorrow, to most likely charge me a bunch to swap the rubber type ring I have for a wax ring and in a week or so the smell will return. Is it possible that each time I am not setting the toilet correctly, sure, do I think that is it after having done it at least half a dozen times, no.

Last edited by naiku; 01-02-19 at 11:27 AM.