Dishwasher Stuck under countertop

Old 01-02-19, 12:14 PM
Dishwasher Stuck under countertop

This should be the easy party. My 12 year old Bosch XL dishwasher is leaking.....pump or sump seal I'm guessing. So I disconnected electrical and water lines then looked for some securing screws and brackets, but couldn't find any. So I tried to just pull it out and couldn't do it. It will wobble back and forth and up and down, but I can't get it to move out. Is there some alternative, funky way to secure the DW? Its original to the house so could have been installed before the countertops maybe, but surely no one would secure it in back then put counter tops in so it can't later be "unsecured" right?

I'm at a loss and would love to hear from some folks who've faced this and solved the problem. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-19, 12:42 PM
When you say water lines, have you included drain? You might have to have someone feed the drain back into the hole to the cabinet enclosure the dishwasher fits in. Are you able to see the dishwasher "hitting" anything when you try and pull it out? Does the floor extend back under the dishwasher or is there a lip where the floor ends?

Some dishwashers have a couple of tabs on top in the front that attaches the dishwasher to the countertop. Do you seen any evidence of these/

Old 01-02-19, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes they have threaded adjustable feet you need to back out with a allen key to make the DW shorter so it will slide out past the countertop lip.

Old 01-02-19, 01:06 PM
Dishwasher

Did someone install a new kitchen floor since the dishwasher was installed? Is there anything installed on the floor under the dishwasher preventing it from being pulled out? Hopefully you can adjust the legs [feet} Enough to be able to get it out. Is the DW screwed to the bottom of the counter?
Sid

Last edited by sidny; 01-02-19 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-02-19, 01:54 PM
I don’t have a Bosch (I have a Kitchenaid) and mine is secured with screws through the dishwasher frame and into the cabinet. That was an alternative way to faster the DW as opposed to fastening it to the countertop. I can’t remember why I had to do it that way however.

But if you were looking into the dishwasher with the door open you would see two circular plugs, one on each side, near the top and near the front. The plug covers a hole. You pop out the plug and you can see a screw head in a bracket on the frame and that screw is screwed into the wooden cabinet. You just take out the screws and then you can slide the DW out.

I don’t know whether that has anything to do with your case but I’m just throwing that out in case you might have something similar.

Just saw that Tumble mentioned these, but that was for the countertop.

Found this. Don’t know whether it’s your model but page 8 talks about countertop mount vs side mount with diagrams.

https://media3.bosch-home.com/Docume...02051191_A.pdf

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-02-19 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have raised and lowered the feet. I have unhooked the supply and drain lines (drain line runs to garbage disposal so I unhooked and fed a foot of it into hole in cabinet next to DW). NO new flooring. There is plenty of clearance. I don't see any clips or brackets on top or sides...nothing to screw through at least. Its like an invisible tractor beam of frustration holding it in place.

Old 01-02-19, 07:13 PM
Obviously something is still holding it. Sometimes, I'll sneak my phone up in an inaccessible (by my head) space and use it to hopefully "see" something by filming it.

When I installed one a few years ago I had space on both sides and below to see stuff (you had to push the dishwasher out of alignment to do it but....). For the top, you might slide a thin stick over the top of the dishwasher to see if there is anything hanging it up.

For the bottom, raise the feet as much as possible (thus lowering the unit) and tilt the dishwasher towards the back to look underneath to see anything.

Just spitballing....

Old 01-03-19, 02:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually an angle thing. Make sure the back of the dishwasher is down (some models have an adjustable back foot operated by a screw at the front of the unit). Then lift up on the front to get the feet to clear the flooring and then rotate so the back raises to allow the front top to clear the countertop.

Old 01-03-19, 06:11 AM
Thanks again. So I tried all of the above suggestions. I put my camera next to water line access hole and took a bunch of pics with slightly different angles. Didn't see much except an awesome collection of dust bunnies. The flooring is level.....it was tiles all the way to the back it appears. Raised front legs and bottom legs in every combination I could think of.can see the top is clear. Ran stick around sides. I'm about out of ideas, but I'll take any more of yours. At this point I think I need to cut an access panel inside cabinet next to DW. Anyone think that's a terrible idea? I'll try any other suggestions........................

Old 01-03-19, 09:02 AM
This guy is installing a Bosch (don’t know the model). But you can see he is attaching the bracket to the underside of the counter. I'm thinking maybe that bump I’m pointing to with the white arrow is the type of plug I was talking about for side mounting the DW as an alternative to under counter mounting - like the guy is doing in the pic.

You remove that plug (that is, if it is a plug) and with the brackets installed on the side of the DW, you fasten the DW to the cabinet through the hole and no brackets are visible. I even forgot it was fastened that way one time and was going crazy trying to remove the DW until I remembered about the side-mounting that I had done (and it’s a beeotch to do on mine).

It just seems funny that you don’t see any brackets at all in the front. But maybe someone did something really bizarre.

Attached Images  

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-03-19 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-19, 12:18 PM
I bet you have side brackets that may be all bent up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BliNEFMsDkI

Old 01-03-19, 12:42 PM
great pic. countertop is granite so side brackets make sense. I don't think they are there, but I'm gonna check really closely again before I start cutting up cabinet walls. In front of that bracket is a black strip. I removed that black strip to try to see behind it and didn't see anything. But like I said I'm gonna look again really closely before cutting into the cabinet, because I just can't think any professional installer would anchor a DW in the back knowing that would make it extremely hard to get out when it had to be replaced or repaired.

Old 01-03-19, 01:52 PM
Before you cut anything send us the model number so we can look up the installation manual.

Old 01-03-19, 06:57 PM
Bosch DLX

Model Number SHU3336UC / UC12

Old 01-03-19, 11:40 PM
Just to confirm you're able to visually see the entire top of the dishwasher to the back panel, and the sides? And your able to see underneath? All inside the dishwasher enclosure?

How about posting a picture of the front.

Old 01-04-19, 05:22 AM
Take a look at this

https://media3.bosch-home.com/Docume...02051191_A.pdf

I did not read it over, but it should show you what to look for and how it was installed.

Old 01-04-19, 05:56 AM
Photos

A couple photos attached. I can see to the back on top and sides. I raised the DW as high as I could to look underneath. I don't see anything and didn't catch anything with the hanger wire I slide around, but I cant say I "saw" no obstructions or attachments. I tried pushing the DW back into the space further last night and it would push back about an inch, but no further. I am really hesitant to cut, but am out almost out of ideas. Might try to slide a thin piece of plywood underneath just to make sure something isn't catching, but I am so pessimistic that isn't the issue that I haven't but the wood to do so. Thanks again for all your input and for thinking on this. I figured I might need some pointers when I got to the sump seal and pump motor, but that sounds like the easy part at this point.

Attached Images   

Last edited by jjjedlic; 01-04-19 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 06:45 AM
tiles all the way to the back it appears
Can you try and verify that the tiles actually run all the way to the wall. For some reason my first thought was that the rear feet of the DW dropped off the back edge of the tile. Have you tried to tilt the DW forward to maybe clear them it that is the case? Might try bending a small hook on the end of a wire and slide it under the DW along the floor to see if you find the end of the tile. Can't hurt to try it.

Old 01-04-19, 09:32 AM
floor

The floor doesnít appear to be the issue, but tonight thatís what Iím going to focus on. Sliding a sheet of plywood underneath should verify the lack of obstructions and will make it slide out earlier. Will check back for more tips later.

Old 01-04-19, 10:41 AM
I see what you are saying. From your picture it sure doesnít look like it was fastened with a bracket somewhere on the side or on the top. Crazy!!! The thing is though; if you cut a hole in the cabinet will that give you a good enough view to figure out whatís going on?

Just thought, you also said you could move it an inch backwards. That would seem to preclude the use of brackets and screws Ė at least thatís the way it seems to me.

OK hereís a crazy idea: Is there any way that opening in the front is just a little bit too small to slide the DW through? It looks like the wood pointed to by the arrow might be a piece of molding that could have been put on after the DW was put through the opening.

(I canít tell. My eyes arenít the greatest. I guess you probably would have noticed that-but if the opening is just a little too small it might give the impression the DW should slide out ,when actually it canít. Nutty idea!)

Attached Images  

Last edited by zoesdad; 01-04-19 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added "just...
Old 01-04-19, 10:57 AM
What a stumper. If you do go the route of cutting an access hole then if it was me, I'd make sure the access panel was as large as possible. Nothing worse than cutting a hole then realizing you need to make it a little bigger to accomplish a task. You wind up butchering it. Repairing a small hole is the same as repairing a large hole. Also, think how you're going to repair the hole prior to cutting it so you cut it appropriately.

Lastly, when you eventually do get it out.....come back and tell us what was up. Not sure why but this one has got me intrigued.

Old 01-04-19, 12:00 PM
I bet Zoesdad has it correct. Take crow bar or wedge and try gingerly to pry the cabinet to the side. I bet it's such a tight fit that over the years the cabinets moved or swelled just a little. If the DW moves at all, it's not attached to anything.

Old 01-04-19, 12:45 PM
You can't see it in the pic, but there is clearance past the trim.....not a lot, but enough to get by. There is more on the right side by 1/8 of an inch and I can't slide the DW all the way to the right....which tells me it MIGHT be anchored or strapped on the left. I am afraid to cut an access panel for all the reasons stated above: wrong place, wrong size, nothing there. Going to print out this thread and walk through every suggestion at least one more time before cutting.

Old 01-04-19, 12:48 PM
I wonder if the drain hose might have been tied off to the side of the cupboard prior to the counter top being installed.

Old 01-29-19, 09:09 AM
Good morning. After getting off course for another emergency I got back into this project.....my wife was pretty tired of the mess and having to hand wash dishes: can't blame her. So I cut an access panel (which I botched up so have a mess to clear up). Basically, there was a metal panel on the side of the DW that was dug into some wood that was swollen from getting wet. The more I messed with it, the more it dug into the wood. The copper water supply line was also providing some resistance as was a big gap in the (ungrouted) tile that a leg was getting caught in and finally there was just barely enough clearance on the sides even if everything was perfect. So it really was a combination of several things y'all suggested. I took a couple pictures, but am having upload problems so I'll try to get them on here later. I really appreciate all your insights on this. Still hard to believe it was such a big deal to get it out......then we decided to buy a new one instead of repairing the 14 year old DW.because I didn't want to go through this again!

Old 01-29-19, 04:17 PM
jjjedlic Ė

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it out. Isnít that the way it always works. When you finally get to see what the problem was, it is something you would have never guessed in a million years. The good thing is, when you put the new one in you will know exactly what you have going on inside that space.