Utility Sink Faucet Repair


Old 01-08-19, 03:56 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Utility Sink Faucet Repair

It's times like these when you really miss the old man. (apologies if I'm using any incorrect terms in the following)

I've got an old 2 valve utility sink faucet that was leaking from the retainer nut where the spout swivels. I removed the spout and found half of a brass O-ring seated in a slot at the base of the spout; I believe the other half fell into the base of the faucet when I removed the spout.

I'm at bit of a loss as to the proper repair. Are there replacement brass O-rings, or do I go with rubber? I've been looking though the hardware websites and haven't seen a part that resembles what I've got. What's the best way to remove the remaining half of the old O-ring without damaging the spout stem (seems like it's seized on there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-19, 04:25 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Photos of the spout which is leaking. shadows :x
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-19, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 18,591
That's not a brass O ring. It a regular rubber O ring that has been stained with age. I would take the spout to an old fashioned hardware store that has a bin or drawer full of various sized O rings. You can also try a big box home center in the plumbing section. They often have packs with a variety of O rings.
Old 01-08-19, 08:51 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
I assure you, it is brass. I had to use penetrating oil to remove it.
Old 01-09-19, 04:25 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,373
I believe that it can be a brass washer. I would not waste my time in trying fix it. Buy a new faucet and be done with it.
Old 01-10-19, 05:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
For reference, as I couldn't find this info anywhere online:

This was a Gerber Faucet.

The brass ring is a retaining ring for for the coupling. They do not sell replacement rings, but I was told that modern Gerber faucets fit the old housings. I would think you could make your own out of a coat hanger or copper wire and solder if needed. The half of a ring I had was enough to lock it in place.

The spout connection is sealed with graphite packing. The official replacement packing is Gerber Part 90-550. You would have to get this from a specialty plumbing store, but I think you could get by using any general purpose graphite valve packing from a big box store.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes