Utility Sink Faucet Repair

Old 01-08-19, 03:56 PM
Utility Sink Faucet Repair

It's times like these when you really miss the old man. (apologies if I'm using any incorrect terms in the following)

I've got an old 2 valve utility sink faucet that was leaking from the retainer nut where the spout swivels. I removed the spout and found half of a brass O-ring seated in a slot at the base of the spout; I believe the other half fell into the base of the faucet when I removed the spout.

I'm at bit of a loss as to the proper repair. Are there replacement brass O-rings, or do I go with rubber? I've been looking though the hardware websites and haven't seen a part that resembles what I've got. What's the best way to remove the remaining half of the old O-ring without damaging the spout stem (seems like it's seized on there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-19, 04:25 PM
Photos of the spout which is leaking. shadows :x

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-19, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
That's not a brass O ring. It a regular rubber O ring that has been stained with age. I would take the spout to an old fashioned hardware store that has a bin or drawer full of various sized O rings. You can also try a big box home center in the plumbing section. They often have packs with a variety of O rings.

Old 01-08-19, 08:51 PM
I assure you, it is brass. I had to use penetrating oil to remove it.

Old 01-09-19, 04:25 AM
I believe that it can be a brass washer. I would not waste my time in trying fix it. Buy a new faucet and be done with it.

Old 01-10-19, 05:57 PM
For reference, as I couldn't find this info anywhere online:

This was a Gerber Faucet.

The brass ring is a retaining ring for for the coupling. They do not sell replacement rings, but I was told that modern Gerber faucets fit the old housings. I would think you could make your own out of a coat hanger or copper wire and solder if needed. The half of a ring I had was enough to lock it in place.

The spout connection is sealed with graphite packing. The official replacement packing is Gerber Part 90-550. You would have to get this from a specialty plumbing store, but I think you could get by using any general purpose graphite valve packing from a big box store.

Cheers.