Searching for Kitchen sink w/ Overflow protection

Old 01-13-19, 04:38 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Searching for Kitchen sink w/ Overflow protection

I've spent a lot of time trying to find a solution, hope someone can point me to a source and or come up with alternative ideas?

I own a multifamily house and on the second flr I want to have a kitchen sink with overflow protection in case the tenant stoppers up the sink with the water flowing and walks away and forgets - and thus potentially causing a lot of water damage in the floor and ceiling below. Just as a bathroom sink can have an overflow, so at least in Europe, I understand Kitchen sinks have overflow holes with piping that routes the overflow to the drain. But not in the US it appears.

There is one place in the US, justsinks, that offers kitchen sinks with overflows I found, however they are very expensive. I found some traffic about another vendor Viola (Vola?) that is based out of the US that might be accessible, but the reviews were not good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

Old 01-13-19, 04:49 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I don't understand why but even some bathroom sinks have eliminated the overflow port. All I can think of is if the water is running and the sink fills up, no overflow drains are capable of handling the flow coming from the faucets. So why even bother?

Old 01-13-19, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
You'll drive yourself crazy trying to tenant proof a house. I must say that in 20+ years of being a landlord with numerous units I have never had a kitchen sink overflow. A fire is much more likely. I would put more effort into making the area above the stove fire resistant.

Old 01-13-19, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Double bowl sinks are just that... one bowl will always be able to overflow into the other before it spills onot the floor. They don't have a hole like a single bowl bathroom sink does.

Old 01-14-19, 06:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finding just the right sink

thx Xsleeper,

I like the idea of a double bowl however Iím limited to a left to right hole in the cabinet of maximum 29 inches, thatís issue one as the standard seems to be 33Ē. Issue two is that the double bowlís wouldnít really overflow well unless thereís a low divide, even a half inch lower would work for overflow, but without that it still problematic. So I keep searching for such a sink .

best
dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: