Strange slow draining toilet

Old 01-16-19, 10:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Strange slow draining toilet

Hi All,

I've got a toilet that is acting up. We replaced the wax ring recently due to the leakage at the bottom of the toilet. It fixed the leakage. But since then, the toilet gurgles/air bubbles coming out every time after flush. The flush seems fine, water goes down fast. And now when i flush it, the water rises to the top and then slowly goes down and leaves the bowl almost empty/very little water left in the bowl.

has anyone experienced similar issues?

Old 01-17-19, 03:55 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
he flush seems fine, water goes down fast. And now when i flush it, the water rises to the top and then slowly goes down and leaves the bowl almost empty/very little water left in the bowl.
Which is it? The flush goes down fast or slow? Your statement is contradictory. If it goes down slow you have a clog.

Old 01-17-19, 04:10 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I think the slow drain issue is after the flush, then fills up, then the water slowly drains back out leaving the bowl nearly empty. Not during the flush. Hope this helps Norm.

Old 01-17-19, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It's hard to say since you say "... seems fine, water goes down fast..." the in the next sentence you say "... water rises to the top and then slowly goes down...". If the toilet worked fine before you replaced the wax ring and now, after replacing the wax ring you have a problem then you probably have a problem related to installing the new ring. Maybe part of the old ring fell down the drain. Maybe you knocked the new ring out of place when re-installing the toilet and it's partially blocking the drain.

Old 01-17-19, 05:29 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Maybe I am the one not understanding the issue but, the issue here, the way I understand it, is that its not a flushing issue. Once its flushed & the bowl fills back up, the water should remain in the bowl... but it doesn't. It slowly leaks back out. The water shouldn't leak out of the bowl after the flush & refill.

Old 01-17-19, 08:44 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the reply and Sorry about my misleading expression. Cant find the editing option, so i'll clarify here. The slow draining issue happened several days later. First couple days after the replacement was the gurgling/air bubbles, Flush was okay. Now its the slow draining problem, water fills up then slowly drain out. Toilet paper wont flush away and very low water level.

/Pilot, i am sure i got all the piece of the old ring out. As for the new ring, why would it drain all the water out if it partially blocking the drain?

Last edited by jimmycc; 01-17-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You have a partial clog. Remove the toilet and hopefully you'll see the problem otherwise the drain should be snaked/augered.

Old 01-17-19, 12:14 PM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Sometimes solid matter can snag on a partial clog temporarily so the toilet behaves differently from one day to the next.

Try this: Rapidly empty a bucket directly into the toilet so as to fill the bowl as close to the brim as possible. The idea is to put a "heavy" load of water in to try to break the clog free.

If the above does not work after a few retries then use your plunger starting with the bowl almost filled to the brim.

Old 01-17-19, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Partial clog.. The main line clog when it drains slowly siphons the water from the toilet..

Pull toilet and snake line..

Auger toilet too just incase its just at the toilet...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: