Help removing bathroom faucet handle

Old 02-08-19, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help removing bathroom faucet handle

I want to take this leaking bathroom faucet (bottom photo) handle off to replace the cartridge and the gasket. However, the handle on top and the bell-shaped hub below stuck to each other, probably due to massive lime or calcium buildup, and only rotate as one piece. Even though I've cleaned all the visible lime deposits in the gap (see the arrow), I can't separate the hub from the handle and unscrew the hub off the valve. Looks like either there's more lime buildup inside holding the hub or I'm doing something wrong (for some reason, there are no plastic washers under the both hubs).

The leaking faucet (bottom photo) is very similar to or seems to be one of the bathroom faucets made by Pfister (top photo), please see the top photo. Would appreciate any comment/suggestion on how to take this thing apart without causing more damage than necessary! Thanks, h.

Name:  faucet.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  7.6 KB

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  29.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-08-19 at 10:48 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-19, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is there a set screw on the back?

When you do get the horizontal piece off, the fluted part screws off.

Old 02-08-19, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
There are so many look alike faucets that it can be almost impossible to identify them. I use visual scanning/image searching to match them. Brand name is extremely helpful to narrow the search.I left a few links below. See if one of them works for you. The handles appear to attach the same way.

Pfister two handle install
Moen cartridge replacement 1
Moen cartridge replacement 2

Old 02-10-19, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Appreciate the links, PJmax! Yes, the faucet/handles I am trying to fix seem to be identical to the Moen faucet/handles from the last two videos. I will apply WD-40 for a few days to see if it helps with removing the lime inside and releasing the hubs. Still have to see what the cartridges are before ordering replacements.

Old 02-10-19, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
It can be hard to get a grip on the smooth cover. You can use a strap wrench to remove them easier. They're available at all the home improvement centers.

Strap wrench